2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 2 feet long worm?  (Read 2998 times)

Offline coral ranch

• Adult
2 feet long worm?
« on: December 11, 2009, 21:02:15 »
This evening I found a black 2 feet long worm like creature in our race way. It is smooth and rubbery in appearance.It's head almost resembles that of a nudibranch. It is flat and flares out with a neon green pattern on it. I can not see any segments or bristles.I know it is about impossible to id without a picture so I will try to post one tomorrow.The closest thing I can say it resembles is a fresh water cecilian worm.

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
Re: 2 feet long worm?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 21:29:50 »
its not one of these http://www.wildsingapore.com/wildfacts/worm/polychaeta/giant.htm is it?

sometimes reef tanks scare me, you have it setup for years, then out of nowhere, monsters of the deep come out. Before i even knew i had bristle worms, I saw a giant one that was 7" long. Now i embrace the bristle worms, I dont have to worry about overfeeding, and I always feed a little bit extra because it is fun to see 50+ bristle worms and 30 blue legs make the race to the sandbed of my nano.

Offline coral ranch

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 21:41:36 »
It's body is smooth and like an inner-tube.

Blown76mav

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 21:50:52 »
When in doubt take it out.

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 22:00:36 »
Lets see it!!!! Where is the pic??
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!

Offline NEWMAN

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 22:52:31 »
I'll take it for catfishing

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 08:18:25 »
There was a worm that I think I remember someone posting a while back on reef central that they pulled out of their tank that was about 6 feet.
They had it laid out on the garage floor next to their car.

I also thought Melev had one a while back but I searched his sight and couldn't find anything.

Good luck.  Maybe you could chop it up and grill it in place of the tiger nassarius  ;)
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 08:58:27 »
That sounds like a specie of Eunice worm. I had a pretty big one that I kept in my supmp for a couple years. It was black with tentacles on it's face / mouth area that were reddish / orange in color. It had a huge burrow that it made in the sand, it was pretty cool.

The only thing I know it was eating was calerpa, I would see it drag pieces back to it's hole. I had coral frags down there with it and didn't have them get eaten so I assumed it was not a coral eater.  It looked pretty scary though, so I wouldn't touch it :D

It disappeared one day, don't know if it died or if it went through a pump or what - neat but I wouldn't want it in my display tank. I have read stories where species of these are coral predictors.

Joel

Offline coral ranch

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 17:26:19 »
here are some pics

Offline jeremyt

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 17:36:41 »
no idea but  :o eeeeeewwwwww

Reefd Up

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 19:10:16 »
Ah, it's a Nemertean...a ribbon worm.  :)

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ribnwrmidfaqs.htm

It looks like a "Notospermus species though... widely distributed throughout the tropical Indo-Pacific" according to WWM.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 19:12:23 by Reef'd Up »

Offline coral ranch

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 19:30:43 »
That is it. I looked up some info and it seems most prey on small inv. and scavange but this one looks large enough to at least take out turbos wich is what it was eating when I caught it. Not sure if he killed it or was scavaging it after it died.

Reefd Up

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 19:31:46 »
He looks like a pretty fat guy...wouldn't surprise me if he had to kill a few snails to stay full.  That'd be awesome for a species-specific tank!

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 19:49:45 »
He looks like a pretty fat guy...wouldn't surprise me if he had to kill a few snails to stay full.  That'd be awesome for a species-specific tank!

Wanna set that up in your bedroom?

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 20:08:12 »
looks kinda cool tho
SIZE DOES MATTER