2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: need advice  (Read 3521 times)

fishlover2

need advice
« on: April 26, 2008, 10:57:12 »
hey everyone
i have a 55 gallon tank with about 70 pounds of sand and 80 or more in live rock with many fish and corals in it and we are moving....:( i need advice on how to move the tank without hurting any of my corals or fish and keeping it nice, if anyone else has moved a tank before like this i can use any advice u have on how to move it.....i appreciate it!!

mike

fishlover2

Re: need advice
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 13:12:07 »
anybody? any ideas?

Offline verper

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 13:33:14 »
First question that comes to mind is how far are you moving?

Most local tank moves involve 5 gallon buckets and extra saltwater.  It works best if you have a larger tub that you can place the fish and coral into while you get the tank set back up with sand and rock.  Add 1/2 tank water and 1/2 new, a heater, and a powerhead or two to the tub and you are in business until the sand settles in your main tank.  Lighting is not required but can be used.  If not, most livestock can stay in a 5 gallon bucket for 4 hrs or so.

fishlover2

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 14:11:44 »
yeah thanks.....im not moving far from where i live now....maybe a 10-15 minute drive.....but do i take all the rocks n sand out and put them in the tubs too....or should i leave those in? and what about the coral?

Offline verper

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 14:28:21 »
Keep the rock in buckets or tubs with water even if there is coral attached.   Buckets only for the sand.  The loose coral can go in buckets if they are the same species.  If not, those cheap Glad containers work well.  You want to move the tank empty to keep from stressing the silicone.

fishlover2

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 14:38:36 »
alright awesome.....thanks a lot, i hope it works out well, id hate to mess up everything in my tank bc of this....it wouldnt be good lol

mrs. justcoral

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 17:23:43 »
Iv'e heard that any time you comletely stir up all the sand there is a chance of it leaking bad stuff into the water that can then kill everything. Maybe you should only use some of the old sand and lots of new sand.

Offline verper

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 17:43:25 »
Good advice.  I would go with new sand also any time I moved a tank, but there have been many people that claim reusing the old sand was fine and didn't have any problems.  Maybe it depends on how old the sand is?

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 19:19:25 »
I think it depends a lot on how much the sandbed was cleaned.  If you kept the sandbed clean then you're probably a little better off.  However, I'd go with new sand just because it's additional calcium in the system.  The sand you have now may be somewhat depleted.