2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Algea problem still!!!  (Read 6692 times)

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
Algea problem still!!!
« on: December 29, 2008, 20:56:15 »
I got the phophates to .1 by adding the reactor and using Phosban.  I also have done 5 water changes in 2 weeks and still have green hair.  Now starting to get red(cyano) going on.  My skimmer has been none stop for the last week with good output.  I have cut down the feedings and did a 24 hr light off today.  I am thinking about taking some of the rock out and scrubbing it in RO water and doing a thin syphon of the sand bed.  Is this a good idea?  Any suggestions?

MechanicalEngineer

Re: Algea problem still!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 21:05:47 »
I know this is frustrating...I went through the same thing you are going through now about a year and a half ago.

Start from the beginning.  Tell us EVERY detail of your setup.  How much rock, how much sand, lighting and photoperiods, everything.  All it could be is that your rocks are leaching and you just need to give it time...but there could be something else going on.  Tell us about your chemical levels, the types of test kits you're using...everything. 

We'll get you through this.  :) 

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 21:21:55 »
My tank has the following:

120 gallon reef with overflow box - been up and running 3 yrs
Current PC's - 8 months old
12 hr sump lights on, 8 hrs display on
~100 lbs live rock - Figi
3-4 inch sand bed in sump and in display
two koralia 4 powerheads
Berlin classic protein skimmer
Aqua C XP phospahte reactor with Maxijet 400
Use RO/DI

Phospahtes .1
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
Ph 8.2
Salinity 1.027 - i know little high, getting it down to 1.023-24

That is all that I test for

Livestock -
1 hippo tang
1 skunk cloan
1 occularis cloan
1 pajama cardinal
1 two spot hogfish
1 six line wrasse
1 purple tail dartfish
1 green chromis
1 watchman goby

Mostly mushrooms, polyps and Zoas

I think thats it.

Thanks

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 22:04:40 »
what type of lights do you have on your sump?

what type of sand is in the tank and how old is the sand?

what and how much do you feed?

what is your ro/di water testing at (TDS)

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 22:15:12 »
2 65 watt Sunpaq for sump
sand is as old as the tank, 3 yrs
I feed 2 cube of mysis shrimp every other day
TDS is 12

Offline jake

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 23:00:55 »
Wow that is a puzzler.

What about cleaners what kinda help you have?

Does the tank happen to get alot of natural sunlight?

What kind of return pump are you using?

Side note if it goes that way I know a guy that got a seahare and as far as cleaning house he is a beast from what I have seen.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 23:13:45 »
sand maybe an issue?  not sure but i thought it was a good idea to replace it after so long?

maybe there is something with the sand?  do you remember what type of sand it is?

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 06:59:05 »
I have bought just about every snail and crab available and no luck with help.  I am using a Rio return pump.  The sand is fine live araganite(sp?).  No direct sunlight either.  I will say that this morning it looks slightly less in quantity and not as green, maybe brownish now. 

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 07:34:56 »
That is great! It is probably dying off due to lack of nutrients from the Phosoban and water changes. Keep up on the Phosoban, may have to change frequently (twice a month) until you can get down to ultra low  levels. Phosopate should be un-detectible on standard test kits.

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 07:55:25 »
Green algea seems to be improving but red is the same. Does algea on coral kill the coral?  Some of my coral has some on it and I am trying to keep that under control

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 08:38:58 »
When did you last change your RO/DI folters?  TDS of 12 is higher than I personally would like.  JMHO

Offline larrynews

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 09:31:43 »
i have noticed that when my bulbs start getting around 8 months old  ( i buy cheap ones) that i start getting hair algae and the frozen foods sometimes can raise your phosphates (but yours are down). you could turn off your lights about 2 hours or so earlier that will help a little (it did mine) and sea hares have always been great for me. but you have to watch because when the hair algae is gone they will starve, just give it to the next person.

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 09:50:21 »
My membrane, carbon and sediment is about 6 months old.  The DI I just changed last month.  Maybe I will get a seahare.  Anybody have one I can buy?  If not than might have to check with Joel or Dodd.

Larrynews - where do you get your lights from?

Midwest Express

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 10:35:38 »
I had the same thing a few months back.  All I did was changed from IO to Coral Pro, bagged the tank, no lights for a couple days, and picked up scarlet hermits.  I was good after a couple of days.  No more red algae or green hair, or really any at all.

Have you tried going at all with no lights for a couple of days?

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 10:54:55 »
I have done 24 hr no lights but not days.  I have coral pro and my next water change will be that.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 11:32:40 »
i get my bulbs from e-bay not as nice as some , but i break mine from time to time

cloran

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 11:36:34 »
I've done the tank with no lights for 3 days, didn't nothice any change at all

Midwest Express

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 11:39:27 »
I've done the tank with no lights for 3 days, didn't nothice any change at all

Bummer, I do the no lights and black sheet over the tank.  That has always worked for me on any tank I have ever had that was marine.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 17:20:17 »
First, on the seahare, I wouldn't worry about them starving too much.  They only live about a year...and so you might get one that is 11 months old (then again, you might get a juvenile one).  A big problem is that they'll eat your green hair algae...and poo out the spores.  The spores will just regrow...so unless you're doing massive water changes, I don't think a sea hare will help other than aesthetics.

It is quite possible that your sand and live rock accumulated a large amount of detritus over the past 3 years...which is fueling the algae.  Give the changes you've made at least a month to take full effect before anything drastic.

I DON'T recommend it, but my TDS is 12 too.  I haven't had any algae in 1.5 years, so a TDS of 12 was never worth my time to fix.  My point is is that it's possible that your problem is somewhere else.

Here's an article that I highly recommend to anyone that has had a tank longer than for 2 years.  It's a good reminder to not get lazy.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/5/aafeature2

Offline jake

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 18:18:31 »
When I had an absurd hair algae issue ( bought it that way) I took it out scrubbed it and with out even a skimmer darked it for 2 weeks and it was spotless. Coralline came back right off as did the zoo's.

I'll shoot dude the email about the hair he may want to get rid of it

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 18:40:41 »
Great article!

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2008, 18:48:12 »
Sorry Lazy...didn't mean to not get "lazy" in general...just meant to not get slack with reefkeeping.  ;)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2008, 18:53:08 »
When it comes to being Lazy.....I am with everything except the tank  ;D

Offline yinyang

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 01:35:15 »
might be your bulb
power compact bulb when they get old it cost algae boom

Offline rmstevensiii

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2008, 08:08:34 »
There's already been lots of great advice given in this thread, so I'll just throw in 1 more point that I don't think was mentioned.  Most tanks that I've heard about with an algae prob have a PO reading of 0.  Once your algae gets to a certain point, all PO which are being introduced to the tank thru feeding/fish poo tends to be consumed by the algae before it reaches detectable levels.  Additionally, when you try starving the algae out by not feeding the tank, or running the tank with no lights for several days, the dying algae releases PO which continues to feed the other algae in the system.  It becomes a vicious cycle.  Its fixable... in my experience, it just requires patience. 

Every tank and situation is different, but for me, if I start to notice GHA or Cyno it's b/c I've been slacking on water changes, or it's time to change out the bulbs.  If I've been on top of my water changes, it's always been time for a bulb change.  Regardless of the age on the bulb, a minor shift in the light output seems to really kick start the algae growth.  For me, this was more of a prob for me with PC's than it seems to be with MH's.

You may want to try this.  Do a large water change (ie...30%), run the tank with no lights for 3 days, and at the end of the 3 day period, do another large water change.  Also, I'd swap out the bulbs.  I know that you stated that they only have 8 mos of use on them, but all bulbs are diff and maybe, just maybe, they're output has already shifted to a point where it's contributing to your problem.

Just my .02,

Mitch

(Someone feel free to step in here, and enlighten me if I've misspoken). 

« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 08:13:48 by rmstevensiii »
Dayton - 45459