2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: A good algae site?  (Read 3319 times)

Bigmoo

A good algae site?
« on: January 12, 2009, 22:43:55 »
I come across a site today while looking up some macro algae that I would share, I hope it is one worth mentioning...

www.saltcorner.com/sections/guest/algaepage/algaepage.htm

The algae I was looking up is Botryocladia skottsbergii (red grape). They have two others types listed as well, all of which I have in my tank atm. Next to the heading of "Red Grape Algae" in parentheses are the words "rarely seen", I was wondering if this is an acurate statement or not giving that I have all three types. If it is the case that is cool I just need to save them because since I have added a phosphate reactor in the last week or so the two not mentioned above are dying at a good clip. Please advise...

Thanks
Dave

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
Re: A good algae site?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 22:51:10 »
I must be special also, I have the Botryocladia pseudodichotoma in my tank.

I'm finally able to identify my hair algae also.....Enteromorpha prolifera.

I really like the way they identify which fish, snails, etc will eat which algae. I noticed that none of the snails listed eat the HA in my tank! That explains a lot. It does say that my flame angel should eat it.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 22:56:50 by ohioreef »

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 01:18:30 »
Hey Dave, thanks for sharing....That is a great site, one that I will be saving.

Some of those pics bring back memories that I wish to forget!

Offline MSUJenn

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 05:47:50 »
I also have  B. skottsbergii. It is such a pain. It popped up on some live rock when I first started, and when I researched it, I was told it was unusual, a sign that my tank was thriving, and I should enjoy it. So I did, until it started growing out of control and smothering my corals. I run a phosphate reactor and do carbon dosing and it still grows. It grows a little bit slower than it used to, but it still grows. It started to turn white and die off a little bit when I first started the vsv dosing, but now I think it's resistant. I'm convinced my rocks are leaching PO4, and eventually with good husbandry it'll just starve. I recently borrowed a juvenile surgeonfish and he did a good job eating all of it, so we'll see how quickly it comes back. My advice is to get it out of your tank if you can while it is still at a manageable level. Unless you're willing to constantly prune it and keep it trimmed back, I think in time it will grow all over your tank. It's good that your phosphate remover seems to be killing some strains of it.

Offline jeblin

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 08:00:01 »
Sort've off topic, but does anyone have bryopsis in their tank? If so, can you send me a PM? Thanks,

Jerry

Bigmoo

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 16:07:13 »
I am glad the site is proving to be a valuable resource for you all. The Skottsbergii is in my refugium so I can keep a handle on it. It seems to grow very fast, perhaps on par with Cheatomorpha. The others are in the tank but are quickly being starved thanks to my reactor, I only wish I had picked it up months ago when my HA problem started. I will post some pics of my tank once I get the algae under control and I feel it is on par with all of yours.