2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Wand or Laser  (Read 2712 times)

Offline Humphrey

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Wand or Laser
« on: June 13, 2016, 20:08:17 »
Preferences for aphasia/majanos eratication.  Which works better, laser or wand?  I've got a few in my frag tank, and I've never used either. Thoughts?  Jim

Offline Gary

• Adult
Re: Wand or Laser
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 13:31:07 »
Jim,
I have not used the laser, but I have used the Wand, kalkwasser, and Aiptasia-X. Aiptasia-X, one application and they are gone. Kalkwasser (lime) is good, if you can cover them with it. The Wand is simple to use, but the animal residue needs to be removed. If any of the foot remains or the residual floats away, they probably will be back. You can checkout the Wand from the club (Brian or Keith) or build one really quick and simple.
Good luck,
Gary

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 18:33:01 »
I tried the laser on some unwanted polps, not much success. Could have been me, might not have been doing it correctly. I have always had the CBB so I never had a aiptasia. Since it died I have used peppermint shrimp, no aiptasia. Not sure about majano.

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 21:27:56 »
I do not think the shrimp will eat Manjo

Offline Kenn

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 10:33:42 »
The laser is effective (and fun :) )

However it is limited in effect. Kinda like going after dandelions 1 at a time in a large field.

I use peppermint shrimp with fantastic success for Aiptasia... so maybe a combination of shrimp and laser would do the trick.
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 21:07:31 »
Maybe I'll put some peppermints in. I think they are aptasia and not majanos because they're a single brown color and not that large. There are only about 5 or 6 right now, and none in the display. Probably eventually will be if I don't eraticate them.

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 21:14:36 »
You think 3 peppermints in a 90 gallon?

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 21:21:13 »
I did 3 in a 180 and they did the job.

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 23:20:53 »
Jim,
Be careful! If it is in the tank with the Niger Trigger, he will snack on the shrimp. I had the Majano Anemones. They are tough little guys and very reproductive.
Good Luck!
Gary

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 14:03:52 »
Got a cleaner shrimp in there with him Gary, and no blood yet... perhaps the cleaner as a non-combatant?

Not going to risk the peppermints in there though...  going to put 3 in the 90 gallon frag and see what happens...  given my recent reefing performance, they'll probably eat my wrasse....

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 20:12:13 »
Thank you guys!  3 peppermints, 1 week, no aptasia!

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 21:15:52 »
I have heard people say they are hit or miss, but I have never seen a hungry peppermint not eat aiptasia. I found one in my frag tank on a clump of palys, dropped it next to my shrimps hangout, gone in minutes. Glad they worked for you.

Offline Topekoms

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 22:37:40 »
I have 8 of the damn things in my tank and they snub their noses at em. Maybe mine have their pinky claw up too much  :alas:

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 22:51:52 »
Maybe they eat to much droppings from your army of fish! Or should I use the term leftovers.

Offline Topekoms

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 23:05:47 »
HAHA prob but damn it looks good!