2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Recommended Fish food brands  (Read 2533 times)

Offline Octula

• Fry
Recommended Fish food brands
« on: September 30, 2018, 20:33:38 »
I'm just curious if there is a recommended brand that everyone trust, or does it not really matter.

I'm starting with Damsels and Clownfish

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Recommended Fish food brands
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 03:01:14 »
I use Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flakes and Spectrum Pellets. Frozen I use mysis and enriched brine from Brine Shrimp Direct and I also feed nori algae sheets, I get mine at Kroger. There are several good brands of flake and pellets and while most damsels and clowns aren't to picky, variety is still good.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 03:06:34 by Steve »

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 22:56:15 »
I’m similar to Steve but I also sometimes use Hikari seaweed extreme pellets and formula 2 flakes if I’m lazy with the nori.  I’ve got a decent number of tangs, angels, rabbit fish though.

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 11:55:45 »
I used LRS frozen fish food for the longest time till I realized it was the cause of my NITRATE spike.  That's a whole nother conversation.  But now I use Hikari frozen blister packs.
Ranging from Spirulina brine shrimp, and Mysis.  I am thinking about giving another variety and trying Rod's.  But Hikari is the main supply.

As for dry food, I give Thera + Spectra A, and occasionally Cobalt flakes

(Not to hijack this thread, if anyone knows where I can find Rods frozen food locally (Cincinnati), please PM me)

Offline merlin3

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 12:49:49 »
Lrs, ocean nutrition, mysis, brine, nori, seaweed, pretty much everything. Variety is one of the best things you can do. I have probably 20+ types of food, mostly frozen

Offline Octula

• Fry
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 14:55:11 »
I appreciate all the advice, too get things started I got Omega One Marine Flakes.

Again I don't have any fish yet just trying to peop my aquarium before getting fish. Plus I was told to feed the aquarium to start building up the bacteria needed to even put all my levels.

Should I feed it once or twice a day like I would with fish in it?

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 14:58:32 »
For me, I used a piece or two of frozen shrimp and let it do it's thing. I wasn't in any rush. I let it run its course....and done

That's a lot cheaper than wasting fish food

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 17:10:30 »
Copy that. I think that’s the best way to cycle a tank personally. $.99 cooked deli shrimp!
For me, I used a piece or two of frozen shrimp and let it do it's thing. I wasn't in any rush. I let it run its course....and done

That's a lot cheaper than wasting fish food