2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: my reef is a total loss.  (Read 2675 times)

Offline Warhawk937

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
my reef is a total loss.
« on: May 28, 2019, 08:43:15 »
DP&L is saying it will be Thursday before I have power again The ups system lasted 3 hours last night.   the the sps corals are shot.  My question Do i need to pull everything out and power wash it and reset the tank.  How long will the fish live without flow.   I thank I can get someone to take the fish this evening.   

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
Re: my reef is a total loss.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 08:59:46 »
It will eventually re-cycle itself and be good to go. Length of time will depend on how bad the water quality has gotten, very sorry about your coral loss. Are you trying to make sure the water stays oxygenated? A battery powered air pump connected to an air stone should be able to get you by until you're able to come up with a longer term plan.

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 09:08:26 »
where would i buy a battery powered air stone

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 09:31:33 »
thanks

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 10:36:39 »
I’m sorry to hear this Brandon. Just glad you’re safe.

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 12:30:29 »
I pulled the trigger on a generator hope the corals bounce back

Offline VikingCoral

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 14:29:15 »
Sorry to hear that. The generator I'm running is eating 75$ a day!  Hope yours bounce back, mine looked pitiful after 2 hours of no power.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 20:01:08 »
I pulled the trigger on a generator hope the corals bounce back

Good call. I would do a nice water change as well and run some carbon.

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 23:22:27 »
Glad to hear that everyone is safe !

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 21:57:46 »
whats the update on your tank Brandon?
Jeff

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 22:49:50 »
Stable the tank did not crash yet but colors is severely faded and every thing is closed up.
My new rodi unit was set up tonight I’m making water for a large water change tomorrow.
I’m half tempted to pull everything out and start fresh

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2019, 22:53:57 »
Before you decide to pull coral out, be patient and see what happens in the next couple weeks. You might be surprised by a recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2019, 23:00:04 »
I fully agree. I have seen corals that have looked totally dead come back.  I consider a coral that isn't covered in algae a candidate for a comeback story.
Jeff

Offline merlin3

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2019, 23:38:43 »
We will see what we lose. When i am home in the evening i have a big generator that can run our whole house but at night and while we are working i have to run my smaller honda sonit just runs return pumps on seahorse and reef tank. Tank is only getting like 5 hours of light a day for now

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2019, 02:09:40 »
Stable the tank did not crash yet but colors is severely faded and every thing is closed up.
My new rodi unit was set up tonight I’m making water for a large water change tomorrow.
I’m half tempted to pull everything out and start fresh

Patience, water change and carbon. Crank the skimmer. I would not through stuff out unless I knew it was dead. I have went through 2 tank crashes, lost a lot of corals, but I have seen some stuff rebound that looked hopeless.

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2019, 07:43:56 »

Patience, water change and carbon. Crank the skimmer. I would not through stuff out unless I knew it was dead. I have went through 2 tank crashes, lost a lot of corals, but I have seen some stuff rebound that looked hopeless.

i agree with leaving it in there, will take a month or two to have it bounce back. I feel that these corals who do bounce back will be touchy for a few weeks, but then will get healthier in the long run. What type of corals did you have?

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2019, 11:51:26 »
ill take the advice of my betters:   I will be doing the water/ filter/media change tonight and give everything a good cleaning.  and then keep my hands out of the tank for a month and see what comes back.   Id like the thank you all for the advise and readiness to help. one thing about this hobby I love and never expected was the tight since of community.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2019, 13:18:18 »
Be careful with cleaning and too many water changes. You don’t want to completely deplete phosphate and nitrate.

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2019, 20:01:59 »
Brandon, I have never gone through a tank crash or shutdown so I do not have a ton of advice. Let me know when you need the PAR meter and if you need any other help for now.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2019, 20:26:27 »
   Id like the thank you all for the advise and readiness to help. one thing about this hobby I love and never expected was the tight since of community.

Agreed, have made lots of good friends over the years and folks who are willing to help out. Hope your tank bounces back.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2019, 21:47:03 »
Sorry to hear about the losses. Lots Of good advice in this thread.  Hopefully in the next month or so you should be able to re-add fish and coral

Offline Tobe1971

• Juvenile
  • It costs nothing to be honest, loyal and true
    • Robinson Salt Supply, Inc.
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2019, 02:46:56 »
man, so sorry! I hope things bounce back. I'd just remove anything dead and go with the aforementioned advice. Water change, carbon and wait.

I had a BAO TSA Transport leak on my way home from Fox's place this weekend (it had about an inch left in the bottom when I found it and then scavenged water from the other two containers in an attempt to mitigate the damage) I estimate the frags in that container were basically out of the water for 2 hours and everything lived. Corals can be more resilient than you think. Good luck and keep us posted.

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2019, 12:54:56 »
death has been removed.  big water change /  new carbon and gfo.  fragged tips from the corals the were dying I think for the most part i dodged a bullet the tank temp dropped to 72 at one point after the outage and swung to 84 the next  day but with the generator running 14 hours later I believe most will be salvaged all the parameters are reading good and the corals are starting to open back up.  question with my corals due better if i bring the nitrate up to 15 or 20 I usually run them a 5ppm but notice the tissue is not as vibrant.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2019, 17:16:42 »
IMO I wouldn't worry about nitrates right now. Just give everything time to stabilize and make as few changes as you can for a while.