2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: The nightmare begins!  (Read 12855 times)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: The nightmare begins!
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2018, 11:59:38 »
That is really turning out great! What color are you going to powder coat?

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2018, 21:45:12 »
I thought about going with the standard black but I might just go with a chocolate brown.  I painted the stand and hood an antique white and put a brown glaze overtop of the white.  The brown would be something different then the standard black and would match the stand.
Jeff

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2018, 22:01:40 »

Looks great Jeff!

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2018, 21:32:52 »
Finished up the new stand.  Im pretty happy with the way it came out.  My old stand was a dark cherry and I think this one being antique white will brighten the look of the new tank.   I should have measured before I tried to take it down stairs.  I ended up having to remove the trim to get it through the basement door. 

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2018, 23:05:25 »
Very nice!

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2018, 23:33:36 »
thanks for all the compliments.  The frames are at the powder coater, wont be ready till the end of this week.  I hope to get the tank drilled and the back glass painted this week while I am waiting on the frames.  Might actually be using the suction cups within the next couple of weeks if all goes well.  Tomorrow will be my 6th and final aefw dip.  I had hoped to have the tank ready by now but hasnt played out that way.  Most of my corals have lost quite a bit of coloration so I will be anxious to get everything back to normal.  so far only one loss which I am grateful for.
Jeff

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2018, 22:43:58 »
I am installing a synergy shadow ghost style overflow into this tank.  It requires drilling two 65mm holes towards the top of the tank.  Instead of the huge corner overflows this overflow only sticks out into the tank by 1 1/2 in and is 18 wide and 7 in tall inside the tank.  I drilled the tank today.  I wasnt as nervous as I thought that I would be.  The drilling went well, used plenty of water and went very slow.  The synergy overflow comes with a plastic template that is like corrugated cardboard and held the water perfectly.  I have heard nothing but great things about these overflows.  Ill be anxious to see how well this works once up and running.
Jeff

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2018, 11:03:04 »
Jeff, I don’t know how thick the rim is in your tank but did you take that into consideration when you drilled?

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2018, 12:08:12 »
The frame I will be installing will come down about 1 1/2 in. With where I put the template and drilled, the water level should be about even with the bottom of the trim.  I put the template up to the top of the glass like the instructions say and the top of the inside box will almost hit the euroglass rim I put on it. . Either way, it's too late now. Lol
Jeff
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 12:15:05 by jjoos99 »

Offline Nbehnken

• Juvenile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2018, 16:28:27 »
The ghost overflows are a great addition to the build

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2018, 17:09:19 »
I remember dry fitting mine for quite a while to make sure I’d be able to get the cover off but also make sure my waterline was high enough in the front.

With my 40B build I didn’t need an OF that big so I went with the eshopps 2 drain. Honestly, it sucks. I’ve had to modify the weir because the water level was too low and the OF is noisy. The synergy is definitely a better OF. At least in my experience with both.

The frame I will be installing will come down about 1 1/2 in. With where I put the template and drilled, the water level should be about even with the bottom of the trim.  I put the template up to the top of the glass like the instructions say and the top of the inside box will almost hit the euroglass rim I put on it. . Either way, it's too late now. Lol
Jeff

Offline JMM

• Juvenile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2018, 17:53:27 »
Running one on my 70 and 120 mixed reef and it is dead quiet. Like it enough I ordered two drilled for my 180. It can take a bit of fiddling to get it right but it’s worth it.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2018, 22:40:37 »
My biggest selling point was having such a low profile inside the tank.  My oceanic tank had two huge corner overflows, 11X8.  Be so glad to get rid of them with the new tank.  After seeing Jessie's and watching videos online I was convinced to install one in this tank.
Jeff

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2018, 07:16:59 »
It’s a great OF Jeff. You’ll be happy with it. And as JMM said, it’s dead quiet. Another suggestion I’ll give you is to buy the economy gate valve from BRS. I have the expensive Spears on the Synergy OF. I put the economy gate valve in the 40B and the economy valve allows more precise micro adjustments. The Spears, although sturdier, sticks and can be a pain to get adjusted correctly.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2018, 08:37:30 »
Installed the frames yesterday.  Ended up with powder coating them gloss black so that it would match the silicone.  Ready to haul home and wrestle down the basement stairs.
Jeff

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2018, 10:03:26 »
Looking good Jeff!

Can’t wait to see it wet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It costs HOW much?!

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2018, 12:04:46 »

Thanks
I'm getting real anxious to get some water in it. If all goes well I'll have my  180 hauled out of basement on Monday then round up a crew to manhandle the 210 down the stairs.
Jeff

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2018, 16:44:55 »
That turned out really good, it should last for many many years

Offline JMM

• Juvenile
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2018, 13:06:36 »
I love the powder coating idea. Did you do two overflows or just one?

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2018, 22:23:10 »
I love the powder coating idea. Did you do two overflows or just one?
I went with one shadow overflow.  I think it is rated at 2800 or 2900 gph.  I dont ever plan on going that high with my overflow and return.  I have 3 mp40's and 2 icecap gyre's available for flow in this tank.  I would hope that will be plenty if not overkill.
  I really like the way the powder coating came out.  It is a extremely glossy and smooth finish and at $80 for both top and bottom frames I didnt feel that was too bad.  I am sealing between the glass and the frames so I shouldnt have any water laying in the frame channels and hopefully never corrode from the salt water.
Jeff

Offline JMM

• Juvenile
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2018, 23:45:06 »
I checked the website and they are rated for 2500 and that’s a lot. I am second guessing myself as I ordered two on my 180. I think part of the reason is the surface area they will cover.
 Powder coating is a great product. Very durable. Look forward to seeing you get the tank going.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2018, 08:22:12 »
My bad on the flow specs. With two in your 180 you should have a ton of overflow skimming.  What are you planning for a return pump?
Jeff

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2018, 22:38:40 »
Well the fish are in jail for the time being.  I emptied the 180 today and will move it out tomorrow and move the 210 down stairs.  Wasnt really ready to move the tank yet but the guy that is buying the 180 is coming with his moving crew so I am taking advantage of them to move in my 210.  gotta thank Keith for the use of his black box leds to get me by with lighting.
  Been experiencing some stn and total deaths with several of my corals the past couple of weeks or so, really need to get things back up and running to get some stability for my corals.
Jeff

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2018, 23:05:30 »
Made a lot of progress today.  Six guys and the clubs suction cups and it was pretty quick work bringing up the 180 and taking the new tank downstairs.  I wanted to paint the back glass after it was in the basement.  Actually ran the wife out onto the deck with the fumes from the paint.  LOL glad she likes the heat.
Jeff

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2018, 23:10:45 »
Excellent progress, won’t be long now