2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Best Reasons to Quarantine...  (Read 22218 times)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Best Reasons to Quarantine...
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2013, 07:57:36 »
Thought a good idea to bump thread with swap coming up. Quarantine your new corals if possible. It is also a good idea depending on the type of coral to remove it from any substrate it came in on. The pest in most cases will be hiding in it. Try to put just the coral in your tank. I like to cut sps off it's base. Take a tooth brush to the bottoms of LPS and clams and dip everything in coral RX or revive. Nothing is fool proof they can sometimes still find there way in but dipping corals can greatly reduce the chances. Always dip in a white bucket and use lots if light. After letting the coral sit for 3-5 minutes swish it around and inspect what comes off. Also look at the coral under a magnifying glass. If you have doubts throw the coral away or post up a picture of the pest for help identifing it. A coral can live in a 5 gallon bucket with heat and water circulation for a few days while you get identification or treat a couple days in a row. If you have a qUarntine tank you still need to dip an inspect. Also note that many times the seller doesn't know they have pest so if you find something let them know. Also some don't consider some things pests and believe it is biodiversity in their system which can be a very true statement. Most everything has its place in the ocean but without its predators in our tank can be an issue.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2013, 21:49:05 »
As one of the hardcore SPS guys who has been in the hobby for a while, I quarantine all my new arrivals in a separate quarantine system for a minimum of 6 weeks to 2 months, for observation and preventive treatment, before the frags are allowed into my display tank.

By properly quarantining all new arrivals, you can easily prevent introducing a whole host of unwanted pests into your reef system as well.   :-ThumbUpsm

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2013, 22:07:19 »
As one of the hardcore SPS guys who has been in the hobby for a while, I quarantine all my new arrivals in a separate quarantine system for a minimum of 6 weeks to 2 months, for observation and preventive treatment, before the frags are allowed into my display tank.

By properly quarantining all new arrivals, you can easily prevent introducing a whole host of unwanted pests into your reef system as well.   :-ThumbUpsm

Prevention is always easier than dealing with a problem in your dt.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2013, 23:22:18 »
Tim while your SPS are in QT do you need to add any chemicals or do you find small frags can do just fine? Another couple questions do you need to do a water change during this time and what about filtration? Can you setup tank and add hob filter and corals right away on demand or do you have to run through a cycle ahead of time. Just wondering with frag and no real waste what would be required to maintain their health during the 6 weeks to 2 months.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2013, 18:54:30 »

Hagen AquaClear power filters work great for temporary setups because it allows you to immediately set up a tank for quarantine so long as you allow the mechanical / biological filter media (ie, ceramic media and filter sponge) to cycle first in your display tank or sump a few weeks in advance (ie, if you place the filter media into an established system as pictured below, it will collect lots of beneficial bacteria overtime which can be transferred over to the temporary qt system to sustain corals, fish and inverts, etc).  As for maintaining water parameters while in qt, you may have to add chemicals (two-part) over time to maintain water parameters but weekly water changes to your qt system may be enough to maintain your levels as well. 

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 19:09:30 by aquavista99 »

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2013, 20:00:06 »
Great posts.  I wish i had known about the benefits of QT when i first started, my tank has ended up with flatworms, not the AEFW (at least i don't think) but they're annoying and i don't want to risk a tank crash by chemically killing them.  Maybe in the summer when 'm not so busy i'll tear down the tank and get rid of them by treating/dipping everything.  My tanks infestation seems to be pretty bad so i siphon them out regularly, here they are at their worst

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2013, 12:12:51 »

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2013, 07:15:43 »
This is a great thread and study.
Chromiumlux