2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: accidental seafood boil  (Read 2737 times)

Offline referinohio

• Adult
accidental seafood boil
« on: October 05, 2011, 05:09:33 »
Well, while doing a water change monday night accidentally bumper heater control to 90.  >:( noticed this yesterday. Lost a Coral Beauty, Cleaner shrimp and Red Tile starfish. (GF not happy about that one) Got temp back down and all corals look unscathed but the water is very cloudy still. Any ideas what is causing this and how to get rid of it. Or just patience.

thanks all
cheers.

Offline HUNGER

Re: accidental seafood boil
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 08:10:18 »
sorry to hear about ur lose   
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 11:33:32 »
Wow ..Sorry to hear it.. that sucks
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 11:44:21 »
I would run some carbon to clear up the water.  Take out anything nasty that might have got in the water from things dying.  I would also check Nitrates and possibly do a water change.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 12:58:17 »
It is probably harmless bacteria bloom caused by warming temperatures and die off. + 1 check parameters and replace carbon.

Offline referinohio

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 17:54:32 »
ugh, lost hammer coral, bubble coral and all my cat's paw. one big colony and a couple frags. >:( another water change tonight.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 18:37:16 »
Going from corals seem fine to dead in 24 hours ughh.... sorry to hear,  you may have ammonia and nitrites. May want to check and if so add ammonia remover.

Offline referinohio

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 05:46:42 »
check ammonia last night. .25. another water change and moved some corals to my qt tank.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 09:09:14 »
Sorry to hear that, when you get things back in check let me know I got a nice hammer coral you are welcome to.

Offline referinohio

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 09:50:46 »
Sorry to hear that, when you get things back in check let me know I got a nice hammer coral you are welcome to.

Cool, may take you up on that. Was my GF's favorite coral. (she's not as much into the SPS as I am). I can PM you when everthing is back in order and just let me know how much you want for it.
Thanks

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 10:00:37 »
No need for payment, happy to help.

Offline referinohio

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 12:23:03 »
cool, thanks.   :)

Offline referinohio

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 18:21:20 »
Well, I think the worst is over.
No3/No4=0
No2=0
No3=undetectable
Po4=undetectable
DKH=10
Calcium a bit low at 360
Mag a bit high @1600
Still going to do one more h2o change since I have the water.
Oh, and the water is clear again.  :-ThumbUpsm
Thanks for the input to all!

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 18:31:21 »
Well that is good. Sounds like the mini cycle is over.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 18:45:03 »
good to hear
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 22:13:57 »
You know, I realize that everyone is not flush with cash, and not trying to trash anyone for a simple mistake, but this happens in the club 2-4 times a year throughout the membership, usually due to heater pot or control failure.  Why don't more users run controllers (i.e., Digital Aquatics, Neptune, etc.) in their tanks?  This would never happen in a tank with a controller even if the heaters were maxed out.  It's well worth the investment.  Just sayin'.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 22:54:13 »
but if the controler goes out that the whole tank shuts off
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 23:21:27 »
but if the controler goes out that the whole tank shuts off

Not really Hunger.....Modern controllers (Well at least the Apex does)  have fail safes in them, meaning if they loose communication with the controller, the outlets go into failsafe mode......that is whatever you set them too.   Sure the outlet can fail, but then so can a normal GFCI outlet.

The point is redundancy.   However you choose to do it.   Never rely or allow one device to fail and shut you down or fry your tank.

Offline referinohio

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 07:14:18 »
Was actually planning on getting a controller for my 125 even before this happened. Will get it a little sooner now.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 11:26:32 »
Not really Hunger.....Modern controllers (Well at least the Apex does)  have fail safes in them, meaning if they loose communication with the controller, the outlets go into failsafe mode......that is whatever you set them too.   Sure the outlet can fail, but then so can a normal GFCI outlet.

The point is redundancy.   However you choose to do it.   Never rely or allow one device to fail and shut you down or fry your tank.

+1.  My Apex died and my tank continued to run in fallback mode for 2 weeks until I got the repaired unit back.  DA cannot currently do this.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline coral ranch

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 16:47:20 »
If you can not afford contollers then then use 2 smaller heaters