2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Grym's 90  (Read 18557 times)

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
Re: Grym's 90
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2017, 14:09:30 »
Decided to do an updated fts

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline Humphrey

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2017, 17:41:57 »
Nice powder blue. New?

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2017, 23:19:21 »
Yep, bday present

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2017, 09:47:48 »
Thought I would post a few updates. Lost the Tang unfortunately, and also removed the Kenya tree and lost the Duncan. Put in a new rock which looks great in the scape. Having a major aptasia outbreak as well, planning on trapping the fish and putting them in Cu qt to kill out ich, and while the "bully" six line is out, will add some peppermint shrimp to clean the aptasia.

Also, if anyone is interested in the six line, he will be available for rehoming after Cu treatment.

Offline thepipbull

• Adult
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2017, 14:01:10 »
Sorry to hear about the Tang.... sounds like you have some work ahead of you.. Don't count on the peppermint shrimp if the out break is bad you might need the wand or i shoot them with a needle of Kalk.

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2017, 14:11:07 »
Problem is most are in hard to reach areas of course. Have a plan though, retailer has aptasia in it's tanks, going to borrow a rock, stick in with peppermints and see who attacks, and buy those. (Grin)

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2017, 08:07:53 »
So after having some recent heartache with lost fish, we are rethinking our tank "theme". We are going to keep the yellow watchman, the chromis, and maybe the pink spot goby (need some info on this).

We are going to switch it to a 90 gallon "nano reef". The pink spot would be the largest fish in it, but planning on stocking with mostly gobies (neon, clown, etc) and others smaller than 2 inch.

Future plans still have a mandrian and a scooter blenny and lots of softies and lost corals.

More to come as we plan it out.

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2017, 08:09:25 »
Oh, forgot about my question, would a pink spot goby eat sexy shrimp? I know most don't keep both together, but was unsure of this. If he will eat them, I will need to re-home him.

Offline jbanion

• Fry
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2017, 11:19:51 »
Get yourself a laser, I recently purchased one and probably the best investment in a long time. You can literally melt them down right through the glass

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2017, 13:21:05 »
Get yourself a laser, I recently purchased one and probably the best investment in a long time. You can literally melt them down right through the glass
Can you elaborate? What kind of laser? Have you personally done this? How far away was the laser?

Offline jbanion

• Fry
« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2017, 14:17:31 »
I have read and seen YouTube videos for a couple years about people doing it and was curious. I ordered a 5 mw laser off of eBay, I only had two aiptasia and I'm not a fan of chemicals in my tank. Literally took about 2 to 3 days of zapping for a minute to 2 or 3 minutes per session and it literally wiped out the aiptasia from base to tip. You can see the anenome burning and curling up. Pretty remarkable. So yes I would highly advise a laser to burn aphasia

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2017, 15:30:27 »
Jbanion, I think that is an absolutely incredible solution. I too am not a fan of adding chemicals to the tank. And for you to have anecdotal evidence that it works is very promising. I have been extremely careful adding new things to my tank. Last week I seen a single aiptasia and my heart sank. I covered it with glue and putty but now I'm seeing small polyps on the same rock and I can't yet tell if they are aiptasia or hydroids. If they're aiptasia, I may have to try the laser thing myself. Great information!!

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
Grym's 90
« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2017, 20:28:43 »
I'm doing the fallow/hospital tank right now myself. Not fun! I like your idea using all small fish. That should look great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2017, 22:07:36 »
I would assume that the laser would also kill any corals if left on them for too long?  Post a link on which one you purchased.  I just looked and there are quite a few of them of different colors.
Jeff

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2017, 15:27:38 »
Didn't realize there were so many posts here.

Okay so laser, the club does have one and I have used it. The biggest problem with the laser is line of sight, since they don't always face the front of the tank and crevices, etc. Yes it will harm corals, melt plastic, etc depending on it's focal point. But there's also the same problem as the wand, you also have to grab the floaties as the fly away.

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2017, 15:35:45 »
So, I am also open to suggestions for ”nano fish", we are already planning 3 to 6 neon gobies, a mandrian, a pipefish, more sexy shrimp and some clown gobies.

We would love some active fish and would be great tank mates and coral safe. And again small, ideally I would like about 15 to 20 fish or so, if that would fit in a 90. Oh and no Cardinals.

Any ideas?

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2017, 20:30:46 »
Flasher wrasse. Fire fish. Fang blenny. Midas blenny. Wheeler Goby. Springeri damsels.  Zebra barred dartfish. Skunk tilefish.  Orchid dottyback.

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2017, 15:15:31 »
Recent chem test from today. pH is low, but could use some ideas on what's ”ideal values" still.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2017, 15:29:50 »
Your alk is low.  boost that up and you probably will see a rise in your ph.  Everything else looks pretty good, phos are ok but for sps they could come down some.  I like to shoot for .06 or so.
Jeff

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2017, 19:33:24 »
Great small fish: Talbot's damsel, great color and very easy going. One of my favorites is the Splendid dottyback, incredible color and very easy going.

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
« Reply #95 on: December 17, 2017, 15:12:53 »
Time for a quick pic

Jordan

Offline Alexandra

• Fry
« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2017, 05:13:48 »
I didnt know you could have multiple gobies. Is it because your tank is so large?

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
« Reply #97 on: December 23, 2017, 06:01:34 »
Generally gobies are non-aggressive, even with same families . The only really problem with them (in my view) is that there are not many pretty and colorful ones.

I think most of the requirements for most others is "sufficient hiding spots" so that each can make their own home. Similar to the 6" perimeter around most stinging/feeder tentacled corals.

Granted my tank is still "under construction" as I have more rock to add to display.

Finally, small updates on livestock, two of the barletts have gone m.i.a. so assuming they are eaten by the cuc. Rock nem has been moving around, seems like he can't find a comfortable spot yet. And the mandrian has been doing really well, happily pecking pods off the rocks.

Jordan

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2018, 13:30:07 »
Just added in about 20 lbs of rock into the tank yesterday.

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2018, 13:32:44 »
Also, changed my light values, noticed that I am getting better colors on a lot of corals that we're shaded a bit, so dropped my uv, blues, and purple to 100% rather than overdriven to 115.