2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Aquarium Adventure in Columbus (Hilliard)  (Read 3249 times)

Offline kellyj

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Aquarium Adventure in Columbus (Hilliard)
« on: December 29, 2017, 11:16:03 »
I visited Aquarium Adventure in Hilliard on Dec. 27.  They have a nice large store with healthy looking tanks (both freshwater and saltwater).  I was not impressed with the prices on their livestock.  A medium size yellow tang was $150.  Kole tang similarly priced don't remember exact price.  Coral selection was very limited (guess we're spoiled by Lazy's).  They also had a nice selection of tank sets but I didn't check prices on them.  I was glad I was in the area and didn't make the trip for this visit only.  Happy reefing.
Kelly

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Aquarium Adventure in Columbus (Hilliard)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 20:14:08 »
$150 for a yellow tang. Wow I wonder if people spend that?

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 20:43:37 »
Yeah, They are not very reef focused, but if you are looking for freshwater plants or fancy gold fish, they are one of the best in the state.

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 10:36:22 »
Was in the store Tuesday 23 Feb. I was coming across Columbus and stopped in.
was promptly and cordially greeted by staff who offered to provide me a compliant mask since my choice was insufficient. I returned from the car with one that they considered appropriate.
lighting was subdued, possibly to make the tanks show better but the aisles were hard to see, lol, probably my ancient eyes were a factor.
I was hoping to find a scraper to keep my hands out of the water  and reach my sand bed. staff asked if they could help me, the only long scrapers (over 24") were small-rod DIY looking and flimsy. staff said they were out of the long versions of the continuum style, i pointed out that there was no spot for them on the endcap so did that mean that they did not carry them rather than that they were out? at that point the staff member went to help someone else.
by myself i determined that:
no titanium heaters were on the shelves,
mag float medium for glass $42.99. (on Chewy $24)
for some reason all of their shelled inverts were on the bottom of the tanks, leading me to believe that few of them were snails.
i did not see any macro algae
they did have a lot of pond stuff, freshwater fish, and FW plants.
i can't think of anything that they had that would be worth a return to this corner of joy.

Offline njrdc

• Juvenile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 12:33:35 »
I was their 2/24/2021. I had to go up to Columbus for work as well and when I was their they had cleaner shrimp for 114.99 and 79.99 I have seen alot of things but never a cleaner shrimp that expensive. lol

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 12:46:41 »
i did check to see if they were a club sponsor before posting, would that have changed what i saw? nope. what i wrote? maybe.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 21:00:20 »
You probably dont want to know but cleaners are only $14 wholesale plus shipping.
Jeff

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 22:37:42 »
Wow that’s expensive! Was that just for one or a pair? Is that going price for them now or is it just this place that they are that expensive. If that’s going rate I may have to get back into breeding them again

Offline njrdc

• Juvenile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 09:19:46 »
No wasn't for a pair I asked. People are always amazed by the wholesale prices but don't really think about the overhead a true LFS has, so as long as the markup is reasonable it never bothered me. The problem is when people try to take advantage of newer people to the hobby that when it gets ridiculous.