2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 1 minute tour  (Read 2629 times)

Offline erky

• Adult
1 minute tour
« on: November 29, 2017, 17:57:04 »

just thought everything looked happy with the new extra flow and lights!

Offline jfishwild

• Adult
Re: 1 minute tour
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 18:16:11 »
very nice....
We don't know how strong we are until being strong is the only choice we have.

Offline Nbehnken

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 19:41:02 »
Your tank is looking great!

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 21:35:18 »
Looks fantastic! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It costs HOW much?!

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 23:24:59 »
This has to be the comeback of the year! Nice job, it looks great

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 23:33:49 »
Wow, a beautiful reef.  Lots of different stuff looking great! 

Love the coral growing on the glass.  Monti?

Offline joncat24

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 07:39:57 »
Very Nice!!!
John

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 15:05:19 »
This has to be the comeback of the year! Nice job, it looks great
Thanks i really was angry about 9 months ago when i saw someone elses tank, and it was the best looking reef i had seen. That inspired me to figure out WTF was going on with mine, and i think it was a majority of flow, ph, and unstable perimeters. 

it was a slow process but when the GYRE was added i noticed that is what really made the biggest difference. The next big change to help was the extra water storage in the 60 gal Rubbermaid trashcan i use as a fuge. Not sure if the biopellets are actually doing much, but my nitrates are pretty stable at 3-7ppm hard to tell with the testing kit (lets get some electronic ones already). I did just recently have a GHA outbreak that i have been combating and lowering my PO4 has really helped in watching it fry. I also added 2 more smaller gyres i got for a good deal, and i feel that is really assisting in getting proper polyp extention on a few corals that never wanted to come out and play.

Things i know i still need to improve on, dialing in my Alk consumption rate (i just had a very large spike up to 13dkh, yes 13dkh). It was there for nearly 10 days and nothing showed stressed or but then i noticed some rtn on an acro. I cut dosing to 1ml per hr and that has finally dropped my alk with a water change back to 9.5 being stable currently. I dose randys method of soda ash that i make myself. I need to invest in an better fuge light, i just ordered a 6500K bulb to see if that works, and if not i will buy one of those horticulture grow lights that they sell in denver (lol).

Things i want to try or experiment with, dosing my diy amminos (thread to come later) amminos got me in trouble one other time when i was not testing everything as often as I do now.  I'd like to make a better top off process, currently i have a bucket attached to an float switch, this works fine if i fill the bucket, but is not great when I travel (we own a travel agency www.susansgetaways.com) so traveling is important to us and getting someone to watch my tank for me is difficult to do, and trusting that person is another thing.

Wants and needs - more fish, i think i have about 12 fish currently, im really good at killing anthias (6 down) and for some reason all 3 of my scissor tail gobys went and hid for a long while, then died, one niger trigger jumped out of the tank (loved that fish) , and a fox face just ended up dying on me (no idea) I really dont have the room to QT a large amount of fish, so getting healthy or locally bread fish is important to me.

Things i need to do sooner than later, take care of some Yellow palys that stung the crap out of the pink lemonade acro i have, frag some purple stylo (its so big x2), identify and or name some aquacultured species i have acquired from fiji, thin some other SPS that have taken off or are growing in the wrong direction, and figure out how to stop an encrusting chili pepper monty Its out of control!

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 15:07:01 »
Wow, a beautiful reef.  Lots of different stuff looking great! 

Love the coral growing on the glass.  Monti?

everyone loves that one it is a meteor shower cyphastrea, there are two in the tank, i wouldnt mind selling that softball sized on that is sitting my the glass, then just let what is on the glass go for a while.

Offline NanoDad

• Fry
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 12:45:42 »
Looks amazing, coral placement is top notch.

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 16:07:18 »
Looks amazing, coral placement is top notch.

thanks there are a few items I would modify, like the giant chili pepper monti, and maybe not introduce some yellow palys that grow like weeds, sting sps, and multiply daily!

Offline Mussin

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 18:43:02 »
Wow!  Very impressive!

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 07:59:04 »
very nice indeed!  Great job!
It costs HOW much?!