2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Frag Tank Build  (Read 3348 times)

Offline guynamedfleck

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
Frag Tank Build
« on: January 31, 2017, 15:50:50 »
Hello all

I managed to get my hands on some 1/4" plate glass and decided it would be the perfect size for a frag tank. I'm enough of a hoarder that this build cost me all of $15. I thought I would share the process for anyone interested, and to hopefully get your input along the way. The tank is 43.5" x 25.5" x 12.75". I'll run it at about 50 gallons (~10" water level).

The raw materials. (x3) 1/4" windows and scrap 2x4's from my workshop to knock together a quick stand.

The stand assembled.

I had a few sheets of foamcore laying around, so used those for a pressure point buffer.

3 walls up. pretty straight forward process. pre-taped all the sides on the bottom panel. laid down a bead of silicone for one long side and one short side. Prop them up and tape the corner. From there it all holds itself up.

Attached the forth wall and then used corner clamps to help square everything up.

A front on view with the starts of my fish room in the background.

Now I just have to wait for the silicone to set. I'll probably turn the stand once assembled and push it up against the wall. I have a nice 4 bulb T5 fixture collecting dust that will go overhead. I haven't decided yet if I will drill this tank and add a sump, or if I will run it as is. Suggestions? I've never run a frag grow out tank before, so any thoughts are welcome.

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
Re: Frag Tank Build
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 19:48:27 »
I'd probably drill and add a simp. Chaeto, skimmer someday, more volume, etc.

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 09:57:24 »
Has anyone here ever tried an elevated sump design?  I'm thinking about building a raised tank on the short end. Rather than drilling the main tank, I could then use a pump to lift water up into the sump that houses a refugium and gravity feeds into the main tank. This way, I'm only drilling the smaller tank and not the main.  As a frag tank, I wouldn't have to worry too much about detritus clogging the pump and, on the other end, sending copepods through a return pump.

Offline jeblin

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 12:40:54 »
Is that going to work without any type of bracing? I've heard of 55 gallon tanks having the bracing removed for a cleaner look shatter and flood due to the pressures. I don't know myself...just throwing it out there ;-)

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 14:39:59 »
Thanks for the reply. From what I understand, most of the outward pressure is caused by the depth of water rather than volume. This tank being large and shallow should be considerably less likely to fail than a standard 55g.

But seeing as this is my first tank build - and i have no idea what I'm doing - I opted to err on the side of caution by going back in and adding euro bracing. Better safe than sorry right? haha. I figured it would also help since there will bee added stress from going in and out of the tank more so than a usual display tank.

Offline Kenn

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 14:57:11 »
nice build  :-ThumbUpsm
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline jeblin

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 21:48:02 »
I don't know about it personally...you may have been good as it was ;) I figured we have enough people on here that someone might have known off the top of their head

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 08:41:38 »
No worries, I appreciate the input. Better safe than sorry!

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 19:10:42 »
I have some leftover glass, so decided to get a bit more practice in and build another tank. This one measures in at 43 1/2" x 9" x 8". Should run a little over 12 gallons. Who knows what I am going to do with it, but it was fun to build!

Offline thepipbull

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 20:16:24 »
Great build cant wait to see what you do with them all

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 17:22:23 »
Thank you.

Started into the water test. So far so good. Started at 20g, I've got it up to 40g and still holding.

Rigged up the T5 and cut a perspex top.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 23:34:23 »
Man that looks great! Nice job