2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Frag quarantine tanks  (Read 754 times)

Offline HomeReef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
Frag quarantine tanks
« on: July 08, 2019, 14:47:41 »
I am looking to add a frag tank and quarantine tank.  I am buying a 40g breeder and stand from Craigslist for $100.  I would like to add a sump to it so will be looking for another tank and overflow box (right now I don’t plan to drill the tank). Also, light, live rock, return pump, circulation pumps, frag stand.

For the quarantine tank I will probably go with a 10g with HOB filter.  I have a 10g tank.

Any suggestions?

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
Re: Frag quarantine tanks
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 16:25:03 »
I’d recommend getting similar lighting to whatever you use in your main tank. I don’t know if you’ve purchased the 40 yet, but if you haven’t they go on sale at Petco from time to time. I got mine and a stand for about $100 if I remember correctly. If you’re looking to make it a frag tank I’d go with a type of bio media such as matrix to save space and keep things clean opposed to live rock. You’ll wish you had the space the rock takes up. Additionally, drill the tank now and put bulkheads and plugs in it before you fill it up as you won’t want to do it at a later date (trust me).

Offline HomeReef

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 17:05:49 »
Thank you, exactly the kind of comments I am looking for!  I was not planning to put the live rock in the tank, I was going to put it in the refugium but perhaps I would be better off with a different bio media.

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 17:47:43 »
Some people like MarinePure, but I’ve had better luck with Matrix keeping nutrients down. It took a while, but I have a nano with about a liter of matrix in it that stays around 0.03 ppm phosphate and 1 to 2 ppm nitrate ever since adding the media. Anyways, a fuge with live rock would help as well!