2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Dr Tim’s Products  (Read 1611 times)

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Dr Tim’s Products
« on: June 21, 2019, 10:36:55 »
I have my little isolated 20L set up. I introduced DrTims nitrifying bacteria, along with enough ammonium chloride to bring the ammonia up to roughly 1.5 (ATI) last Saturday 6-15-19. I am still not getting a nitrite reading a week later. I’ve never had it take this long when using BioSpira. What have you guys experienced with Dr Tim’s products? I know they are highly regarded, but I’m a little disappointed.

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
Re: Dr Tim’s Products
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 11:09:54 »
Are you reading any ammonia or nitrates?

Perhaps it converted really fast and you missed it?
It costs HOW much?!

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 11:46:51 »
Hi Mike, I’m up to 1.5 on ammonia. No nitrite, no nitrate

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 12:15:44 »
is the tank carbon deficient.   I had that starting out and added microbacter.   

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 13:22:03 »
I just started the tank Saturday. I’m trying to cycle it.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 14:27:08 »
I have my little isolated 20L set up. I introduced DrTims nitrifying bacteria, along with enough ammonium chloride to bring the ammonia up to roughly 1.5 (ATI) last Saturday 6-15-19. I am still not getting a nitrite reading a week later. I’ve never had it take this long when using BioSpira. What have you guys experienced with Dr Tim’s products? I know they are highly regarded, but I’m a little disappointed.

In order to asses the  state of the cycle we need the current Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate level.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 15:17:04 »
Ammonia is between 1.0 - 2.0 (API)
Nitrite=0 (API)
Nitrate=0 (API & Salifert)
Sg=1.026
13lbs Dry Rock

6-15-19
Dosed nitrifying bacteria per DrTims instructions on the bottle and then Dosed 1mL Ammonium Chloride

6-16-19
Ammonia = 1-2
NO2=0
NO3=0

6-19-19
Dosed 2mL Nitrifying bacteria

Today
Ammonia=1-2
NO2=0
NO3=0

In order to asses the  state of the cycle we need the current Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate level.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 16:44:20 »
What was the level of ammonia on 6/19 before you dosed the second round of ammonium chloride?
I would be more inclined to blame the quality/porosity of rock. Based on the picture it looked really dense. This real reef rock I have is junk. Maybe I will change my mind later but for now I am unimpressed with it

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 16:55:35 »
The ammonia has stayed at 1-2 since I first dosed it. The rock isn’t too bad. 1 piece was a little dense but the others were quite light. After using this bacteria twice and having issues and also seeing no positive signs in my other tanks with the pro-biotic, I think DrTims products are over rated.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 16:57:09 »
When you mentioned you dosed 2ml on 6/19 was that 2ml of bacteria or 2ml of ammonium chloride?

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2019, 15:26:25 »
Update:
I started my cycle with DrTims one & only bacteria & ammonium chloride. For 12 days I have been waiting for a nitrite reading. I got tired of waiting and added a small bottle of BioSpira yesterday. In less than 24 hours the ammonia is gone and I finally have a nitrite reading of .5. My anecdotal experience is....DrTims bacteria sux!

Here’s my test today

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 22:04:21 »
Glad you got it going. Your on your way now

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2019, 00:01:24 »
I’ve had good luck with Dr. Tim’s one-and-only in the past, but you’ve got some good documentation there that it didn’t work for you. I once cycled a tank with it with fish and had only tiny readings for Amonia, and I never even got any nitrite.  I’ve used Bio Spira too and it worked for me as well.

Interestingly, Dr. Tim invented Bio Spira while at Marineland.  He also invented the bio-wheel.  Just added some one-and-only to a new tank today.  I will report back.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2019, 09:27:23 »
Brian seemed to have good luck with it recently as well.

You’re right. I read that on a thread that DrTim invented BioSpira. I’ve used the one and only on two setups now and had trouble with the cycle on both. I think DrTim needs to go back to his old formula. Lol.
Let us know how your cycle goes.

I’ve had good luck with Dr. Tim’s one-and-only in the past, but you’ve got some good documentation there that it didn’t work for you. I once cycled a tank with it with fish and had only tiny readings for Amonia, and I never even got any nitrite.  I’ve used Bio Spira too and it worked for me as well.

Interestingly, Dr. Tim invented Bio Spira while at Marineland.  He also invented the bio-wheel.  Just added some one-and-only to a new tank today.  I will report back.