2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Virus & trogans?  (Read 4063 times)

Offline Joel

• Adult
Virus & trogans?
« on: April 15, 2009, 09:45:07 »
I have just had Norton detect and block two attempted attacks on my computer. I clicked on a link here on Ohio Reef and that is what seemed like started it. Is it possible that some one has attached something to the web site to do this when unsuspecting members are on?

I've been to no other web sites today - seems weird that shortly after logging on  here this started happening?

Joel

Offline Joel

• Adult
Re: Virus & trogans?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 09:47:44 »
Just had two more attempts.....

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 09:58:10 »
I had this happen once last week in a thread.  I think Gary is going to reload an recent backup from before we started to see all this.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 10:54:01 »
Virus is on the host. I think Gary is going to make contact with host to have them clean the server then reload our site pages from back up.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 11:33:32 »
I just logged back in to check my PM's and got hit again twice by the same two threats / attempts.

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 11:41:40 »
Thats strange, i havent had any trouble or alerts at all..

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 12:01:15 »
I have made the host aware of the issue. I am going to upload a backup this evening, but if the host hasnt cleaned the server it wont do any good.

In the meantime, try accessing the site through mobile.ohioreef.com. Doesnt appear to have affected the text only version.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 12:38:18 »
Thats strange, i havent had any trouble or alerts at all..

that can be either good or bad  ;)
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline Hunter21

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 12:44:01 »
my Norton calls them bloodhound viruses. I got hit with them Monday, twice as well.  :(
Erin

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 13:02:58 »
Anyone who has not gotten a warning, I would suggest you check your antivirus software to make sure it is up to date. Would probably be a good idea to run a complete scan on your system as well.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 13:11:28 »
I am getting hit with something called hacktool.rootkit. According to the report Norton gives, it has attempted to hit me 35 time today between 9:36 am - 12:27pm.

I've also been hit with Trojan Zerfarch, a "downloader" and something Norton called "suspicious mh690A" all between 9:30am and 12:30 today. Fortunately Norton caught it all and blocked it. It's pissing me off though, it just happened again.

Can it be found out where it's coming from so I can go kick their ass!?

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 13:18:23 »
I was also hit with something called litehitscar.cn/ earlier this morning. that was blocked by Norton.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 13:37:00 »
Only from our page? It may continue until I get the clean files uploaded. Try going to mobile.ohioreef.com and see if it hits you there.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 14:24:12 »
I think there may be some good news to be had.....I checked and sure enough all my personal sites got hit as well. I uploaded the fresh files off my computer to the server and that seems to have fixed it.

The files for this site are much larger so it is going to take a while to get it done. I plan on getting started on that tonight when I get home from work.

In the meantime, please be patient. I promise I will get this fixed.

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 15:15:01 »
Thanks, I am getting hit with them also. 

Offline yinyang

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 22:51:01 »
i got hit to when on the site

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 07:19:25 »
At what time? If you are still getting hit, clear out your internet cache. Your browser may be calling a stored copy which still has the hacker's code in it.

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 12:32:47 »
I just got hit by one, how do I clear the cache?

Offline jeblin

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 12:47:49 »
On Internet Explorer (depending on version) click on the Tools menu and select Internet Options from there. It changes from there depending on the version.

In IE 6, click on the "Delete Files..." button in the Temporary Internet Files section. When you click on it, another window will pop up. Put a check mark in the "Delete All Offline Content" box and click the OK button. That should take you back to the Internet Options where you can click the OK button again to exit out of it.

In IE7, click on the "Delete..." button in the Browsing History section. When you click on it, another window will open. Click the "Delete Files" button that shows up. It will ask if you're sure you want to delete all the files. Click the Yes button and then the OK buttons to get out of it.

I can't remember off the top of my head on how to do it in Firefox/mozilla/etc.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 14:07:54 »
Another possibility, which just happened to me...I just got a Norton warning of a blocked attack. I was not on our site nor did I have a browser open. I checked the details and the file was in my "Windows restore" files. Norton reported that it had fixed it, however Norton cannot erase files in the restore folders so everytime you start the computer it is back.

I had to go into "control panel, system, and then choose the system restore tab." Check the "Turn off system restore on all drives." A pop up window will come up asking if you are sure and warning that all restore points will be erased. Click ok and your computer will erase all saved restore points. This may take a couple minutes. After that is done, click ok to exit. Reboot your computer and then go back into the system restore tab and uncheck the turn off box and click apply. When it is finished click ok to exit.

This seems to have fixed the issue on my system.