2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: cyano in fuge  (Read 2979 times)

Offline erky

• Adult
cyano in fuge
« on: January 13, 2018, 19:49:36 »
I have a 65 gallon roller wheel trash can as a sump/fuge, it is filled with cyano and cheato. Is it common for the sump to be covered in cyano?

Nothing in my display, just kind of strange to me. Flow isnt not high in the fuge maybe why the cyano is there, any thoughts or ideas?

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: cyano in fuge
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 19:59:35 »
I had problems with that too. I ended thinning the cyano covered macro out to get more flow and cutting back on my lighting schedule a bit. Also siphoned a lot out with a bulb syringe.

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 20:43:25 »
I had problems with that too. I ended thinning the cyano covered macro out to get more flow and cutting back on my lighting schedule a bit. Also siphoned a lot out with a bulb syringe.

I am not seeing any adverse effects of the cyano being in there, i do slid my hand along the side from time to time and take out a handful here and there.

the light is a h380, flow is low, but going to replumb soon as it will backflow if flow suddenly stops and makes my sump over flow.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 21:13:46 »
Do you have a filter stopping it from getting to the DT? Mine finally made its way to the DT and it’s been a little battle to keep it out cuz you can just shut your lights off to kill it once it gets there.

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 22:18:36 »
Do you have a filter stopping it from getting to the DT? Mine finally made its way to the DT and it’s been a little battle to keep it out cuz you can just shut your lights off to kill it once it gets there.

not really, but it would have to go thru my skimmer to get into the return pump. I have chemi-clean too if needed.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 23:18:33 »
That is quite a bit. It is toxic to the livestock in tank and even bad for you and the family in the house. Consider doing a Chemiclean treatment to get rid of.

Offline Outlaw

• Fry
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 02:38:14 »
I was just thinking about this on my tank the other day. I am starting a fuge with cheato and have been running dragons breath for awhile. What kind of light cycle do you guys run on your system. I am running the DT for 9 hours total a day and the fuge for 14 hours a day. should it be cut back. I only have cyno growing on my glass

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 08:54:06 »
I run the DT for 9hrs
I adjust my fuge light based on my nutrient levels. If my PO4 is above .05 I try to run it for 12hrs. If it’s below .05, I try to keep it around 10 hrs to  cut down on nuisance algae.

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 09:03:08 »
I am usually ok with a little cyano on my fuge, but there is a ton, I am going to by pass the fuge currently and run some chemi-clean in it and let the power heads do their thing, I might throw my hob skimmer on it to not tax the other skimmer when let it flow back into the system.

my light cycle is about 12 hours on the fuge with the h380, my nutrients are pretty low at .25-5ppm nitrate (dosing to raise) and .08 po4

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 09:04:08 »
pulled a lot of cyano off the walls, also dosed chemiclean, tomorrow i'll do a 100% water change for the fuge and get it back up and running

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 15:00:19 »
everything is back running as before with a lot less cyano. I cleaned my chaeto off and wow i didnt realize how dirty it was, I weighed it and it cane out to 80g. In a few weeks i will weigh it again to see what the h380 is doing for it, i will probably make a new thread for that however.