2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Looking for a few pieces of shelf rock  (Read 1139 times)

Offline guynamedfleck

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
Looking for a few pieces of shelf rock
« on: January 22, 2018, 16:46:44 »
Hey all

I have a project bouncing around in my head and I'm wondering if anyone happens to have a few nice pieces of shelf rock that they would be willing to part with?

After the Cincy frag swap i was running a bit low on real estate for new frags, so I went online and picked up a few Oceans Wonders magnetic frag racks. While they are decent and do the trick, they looked nothing like the advertised image and for $23 a pop, I think I could do a little better.

I originally thought about sculpting shelves from scratch, but I've got bigger plans for these little gems.  I've got a background in casting and model-making, so I thought I would go ahead and make a mold or two from actual shelf rock. Then I can crank out a small batch and bring some life to the back wall of my reef!  Even better, I can make the shelves larger or smaller and custom size/place the frag plug holes. 

After I secure some rocks, I will start up a DIY thread os everyone can see the process!

Offline guynamedfleck

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
Re: Looking for a few pieces of shelf rock
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 17:34:01 »
Hey all

I have a project bouncing around in my head and I'm wondering if anyone happens to have a few nice pieces of shelf rock that they would be willing to part with?

After the Cincy frag swap i was running a bit low on real estate for new frags, so I went online and picked up a few Oceans Wonders magnetic frag racks. While they are decent and do the trick, they looked nothing like the advertised image and for $23 a pop, I think I could do a little better.

I originally thought about sculpting shelves from scratch, but I've got bigger plans for these little gems.  I've got a background in casting and model-making, so I thought I would go ahead and make a mold or two from actual shelf rock. Then I can crank out a small batch and bring some life to the back wall of my reef!  Even better, I can make the shelves larger or smaller and custom size/place the frag plug holes. 

After I secure some rocks, I will start up a DIY thread os everyone can see the process!
Nobody! Bummer... guess its time to break out the old sculpting tools...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
Re: Looking for a few pieces of shelf rock
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 17:42:02 »
If you want to make a drive to South Carolina I have about 20 lbs left over?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It costs HOW much?!