Frag Swap

Author Topic: My first saltwater tank 55 gal  (Read 4042 times)

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
My first saltwater tank 55 gal
« on: April 22, 2011, 23:40:42 »
I have now had a mixed reef tank now for about two years. I was introduced to saltwater reef tanks by my brother about six years ago and he has been around them for about 12 years so I have been able to soak up a little of his knowledge but am still a newbie to saltwater tanks. He also set up a 35 gallon mixed tank for my dad who I have alway been lucky enough to alway take a few coral frags from (blue mushrooms, fuzzy red mushrooms, finger leather). I am going to start from the beginning and end at current setup. I had my tank set up for a little over a year before having a heater get stuck on open and frying everything in my tank accept my hippo tang who later died and one blue mushroom. So here are some pictures of my tank before the heater problem...

55 gallon tank I picked up on craigslist for $80, 80lbs live sand, and remora aqua c skimmer I also picked up from a guy on craigslist for cheep. I am running 4x65 watt power compact lights.

Filling up the tank

Tank is full and I also put in about 30lbs of mature live rock. Another craigslist special! I love craigslist!

First tank inhabitants..

and a few turbo snails and hermit crabs...

As my tank progressed alittle...

my blood shrimp set up a cleaning station..

my first couple coral frags...

my new blue spotted jaw fish! he was the coolest fish I have had!

new inverts...

sorry I know this is getting long but I have been wanting to make a tank profile for awhile... I have a lot of pictures to share.
This was about was how my tank was looking until about eight months ago when I came home from a long vacation to find that the tank was over heating and everything was dieing. My tank watcher (dad) neglected to watch the temp close... but oh well live and learn.. move on. So after this I did a 65% water change and continually did smaller water changes bi-weekly. I let the tank cycle again and about four months later I started to restock. I also added a CPR hang on refugium with some macro and some more live rock. Here are some pictures of the tank after doing little restocking and this brings me up to current day.

New refugium..

Everything seems to be doing fine to date but I am getting some cyno bacteria and some hair algae blooming. Not bad but enough to notice. Most of my hermits and snails have died so I am planning to add to my clean up crew. I am also hoping the addition of the refugium will help with nutrient export. I am planning on an upgrade in the near future. Well anyway this is my first attemp at a saltwater aquarium and have learned a lot and continue to learn daily from everyone here on the club website!

« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 08:01:00 by Lazylivin »

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
Re: My first saltwater tank 55 gal
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 23:45:38 »
Fantastic post  :-ThumbUpsm
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 08:04:24 »
Everything looks great, thanks for sharing.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 10:04:39 »
very nice
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 20:17:37 »
Some updated photos after frag tank and sump addition. Most everything seems to be doing well although I may change out the return pump to get some more flow.

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 18:39:56 »
Hey all I need your help. I need some votes for my tank build. If you could take a min and give me a vote I would greatly appreciate it.

http://www.thereefhub.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1129

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 18:40:39 »
Also I need the votes today as it is a one day vote. Thanks :)

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 18:43:57 »
They are also having an all day giveaway so worth checking it out.

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 19:20:18 »
Come on everyone I really need your help!! Please come vote!!

http://www.thereefhub.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1129&hilit=tank+build+vote

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 19:34:10 »
Voted. FYI your link to your pictures in this thread are broke.

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 19:35:22 »
Thanks Brian. I will go back and fix.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 19:47:55 »
Come on guys still 1 vote behind! I really need you!..

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 20:09:27 »
You got mine.

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 20:18:33 »
Thank you! Keep them coming everyone!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2