2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 2 water changes with sea chem salt  (Read 1918 times)

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
2 water changes with sea chem salt
« on: June 19, 2009, 17:33:36 »
I have recently decided to switch salts from red sea to another brand.  I decided on sea chem after several positive remarks on this site.  I have made 2 water changes in the past week and have made several observations.  I did notice that the mag level was only at 1200.  I didnt notice any mess with mixing of the salt like others have mentioned.  After the second change I have noticed a definate increase in polyp extension.  I have a piece of LE Bali tricolor that does seem to have increased its coloration.  Right now I am looking forward to even better results with more water changes.
Jeff

Offline Rob

• Adult
Re: 2 water changes with sea chem salt
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 19:01:01 »
Thanks for posting this, I too am interested in your results.
Rob

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 20:09:46 »
Rob
  I understand that you guys at marine solutions has experienced the same thing since your switch to sea chem.  What changes have you seen in your runways with your stock?
Jeff

Offline Rob

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 22:09:31 »
Jeff will be able to speak more directly about this, but I can tell you what I understand.

Quite often we will get an incredible coral in, it will have awesome colors, then once it hits the system it would lose a lot of it's colors and brown up.  Who wants to buy brown coral?  We made several changes to our system, we believe the most significant was the use of SeaChem Reef Salt.  We now are able to retain the colors that we see when we take corals out of the bag, this is huge for us.  We have never had issues with coral growth in our facility, the stuff grows like crazy under natural sunlight, and we have good extension of the polyps and such too.

I suspect we could get some of the same results (possibly better?) with some of the other brands of salt out there, but right now we are liking what we are getting out of this product.
Rob