2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Auto Dosing Paraguard?  (Read 2193 times)

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
Auto Dosing Paraguard?
« on: September 08, 2017, 21:50:23 »
What are people's thoughts on using searchem paraguard as the only med in a fish quarantine tank? They advertise it as a cure all and doesn't kill the biofilter like copper. I calculate $10 for a month treatment in a 20 gallon tank and hooking it up to a doser since it's supposed to be dosed daily. Maybe even dose a little prime everyday too to help with the water changes. Thoughts? Too good to be true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Humphrey

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Auto Dosing Paraguard?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 14:25:43 »
I worry about the cure all's because I'm not sure they're effective enough for each purpose. I do like sea chem  products, and I trust them overall. 

My QT is prazipro, 2 treatments 3-4 days apart (flukes & worms), then 3 weeks CP (Ick Sheild powder). Quicker on the ick sheild if I were to see ich or velvet.  Metro in food for internal parasites if I suspect any, Futan 2/kanaplex are also pretty good for the bacterial issues. I use Focus to bind medicines to food.

Thing about copper.... it has some downsides, but it flat out works.  Hard on some fish though. . Hypo, Paraguard are not 100% in my experience.  Much, mich better than nothing though.

Thing I like about CP and even praziquantel is that they're one and done (providing you don't have bright lights or substrate). 

Offline joelbegt

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 14:43:21 »
I've used paragaurd "dip" on large amounts of incoming fish. The dip can be rough and I suggest keeping an eye on fish as you dip, but I found it lowers mortality in the first weeks after arrival.  I usually pulled Wrasse and very stressed out tangs sometimes well before the hour dip was finished.  I did the daily dose a few weeks once and noticed everything being coated in a clear slime so I decided just to use it like a dip after that.  After I dip I just obeserved and treated issues accordingly usually with hypo for ich or cp if any velvet popped up.

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 07:47:57 »
Thank you for the replies. I decided to pull the Paraguard and go straight to cupramine. However next time I may just use Lazy's ordering and quarantine service. This quarantine business is stressful lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk