2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: aquatic life hybrid t5-kessil combo?  (Read 1784 times)

Offline Jstew600

• Fry
aquatic life hybrid t5-kessil combo?
« on: December 03, 2017, 10:58:46 »
My main display is a 250 deep dimension (60-36-27 tall). Im thinking of running the Aquaticlife Hybrid T5 fixture with Kessil 360 we's.
my concern is the Aquatic life fixture is only 20" front to back, my tank is 36". also the T5 in this unit look very close together. my other idea was to use 2 reebright retro T5 fixtures (which are 7.5" wide front to back each) and hang them further away from center of the Kessils. this is a mixed reef and SPS are at the upper level. Any opinions?

the Aquatic life fixture
https://www.aquaticlife.com/aquatic-life-t5ho-hybrid-mounting-system-fixture.html

reefbright retro
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/supra-dual-t5-retrofit-fixture-reef-brite.html

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: aquatic life hybrid t5-kessil combo?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 14:23:02 »
What is the setup in the tank?  If you have a good gap between your rock and the back of the tank, then 20" fixture is probably fine.   If you are planning to use Kessil lights, then you are going to want the fixture mounted higher off the water anyway.

I watched the BRS adds (....oops, review) What I don't like is the T5's enclosed with no allowance for heat to escape from the fixture....either active or passive.  T5HO's generate quit a bit of heat.

But if you don't have a canopy to hide a retro kit, then this is probably a nice option.

Offline Jstew600

• Fry
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 16:29:20 »
What is the setup in the tank?  If you have a good gap between your rock and the back of the tank, then 20" fixture is probably fine.   If you are planning to use Kessil lights, then you are going to want the fixture mounted higher off the water anyway.

I watched the BRS adds (....oops, review) What I don't like is the T5's enclosed with no allowance for heat to escape from the fixture....either active or passive.  T5HO's generate quit a bit of heat.

But if you don't have a canopy to hide a retro kit, then this is probably a nice option.

Rocks are mostly centerline. No hood.  Just wish I knew how much spread the t5 will have. I'm running 4 black boxes right now and the spread sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Nbehnken

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 17:34:30 »
I have ordered the 48” version, but they are currently backordered. I was told they will ship out somtime this month. I recently documented my par readings with my current LED setup and was planning on doing the same once I got the new lights hung. 

I can share the new readings with you if you’re interested in seeing them.

Offline Jstew600

• Fry
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 17:37:30 »
I have ordered the 48” version, but they are currently backordered. I was told they will ship out somtime this month. I recently documented my par readings with my current LED setup and was planning on doing the same once I got the new lights hung. 

I can share the new readings with you if you’re interested in seeing them.
Please do! What LED are you using with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Nbehnken

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 19:11:30 »
I currently have 2 Radions G4’s.

I hope to get the hybrid’s soon!

Offline Alexandra

• Fry
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 00:58:37 »
I plan to get the hybrid & then add a high end led when i come across a deal for one used. Seemed like the practical order for a build .