2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Cycling Nitrite reading question  (Read 1197 times)

Offline jayare

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
Cycling Nitrite reading question
« on: December 26, 2016, 11:44:05 »
I am finishing my tank cycle. Ammonica is at 0 and I am testing my Nitrites with a Salifert test. When I perform the test and read the results looking down from the top, as instructed, I see no color. The test does say that AFTER the tank has cycled you need a higher sensitivity test and to view the results from the side. If I do this now I do see a slight hint of pink color. Would you consider the tank cycled at this point?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Cycling Nitrite reading question
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 12:01:04 »
If there is any hint of pink on the nitrites, The cycle is not quite complete.

What is in your tank right now?  What do you want to add?

Offline jayare

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 12:07:35 »
Nothing is in the tank, live sand and love rock. Just confused with the instructions 

Offline Kenn

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 12:52:16 »
 :th_ShowLetter:

If there is any hint of pink on the nitrites, The cycle is not quite complete.

Also,

You could grab a simple nitrite test kit from the LFS. I use Salifert myself but for every day tests I use API as they are cost effective and easy to read ( usually :) )

Just IMO

Good Luck!
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 13:45:48 »
So you need to get some bioload on the system  (bioload = animal waste, things dying) The live sand is providing a little bioload, but won't last long.   You can add a couple of hardy fish.   chromis, clownfish, damsels.  Would all fit the bill.   These are fairly hardy fish, and can tolerate the ammonia and nitrite in small quantities for a short amount of time.   How big is your tank.   When I started my 180, I used 10 green chromis.

Offline jayare

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 14:01:35 »
Plenty of things died from the live rock, bristle worms, etc. my question was more on the interpretation of the Salifert instructions. Tank is 45 gallon SCA cube.

Offline jayare

• Juvenile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 14:11:47 »
Instructions

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 14:31:23 »
Set the color chart on a table, then set the vial on top of the color chart.  Look down Line up the colors and read the value.

If the color of the water is lighter than the lightest color on the color chart, then

Hold the color chart in your hand, and then hold the vial in front of it.  Look through the side of the vial, line up the colors,  read the value and divide it by 10 to get your nitrite value.

What I was trying to say was, if you can see any hint of pink in the water, it doesn't matter what the value is.....it's bad long term.

Offline jayare

• Juvenile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 08:32:59 »
Thanks for the advice. I have had a Nitrite level of 0.01 for 3-4 days. Hopefully it will drop to 0.