2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 75 - 120 Gallon Reef Lighting Questions.  (Read 976 times)

Offline Joe_Fish

• Fry
75 - 120 Gallon Reef Lighting Questions.
« on: July 19, 2019, 01:08:07 »
So lets just dive right in here.    I'm going to setup either a 75 or a 120 gallon Reef Tank.   (Depending on if I end up buying this 120 gallon Aquarium or not)

My best guess is both would use basically the same lighting setup.   Mean there's a 4 inch difference in depth but my guess is thats not enough to really alter the lighting that would be used.   Welcome to correct me if i'm wrong here.   But my theory would be that if you setup for good lighting in a 75 you'd end up with good lighting in a 120 as well.   (Maybe?)

Bit of background as to my somewhat invasive list of corals I plot to use.     Green Star Polyps, Clove Polyps, and Pulsing Xenia, Blastomussa, and some Zoas and though not a coral some rock flower anemones (After things are more established).    Now I know the Pulsing Xenia,  Clove Polyps and GSP's are suposta be a bit invasive.   Of those I figure the GSP's are probably the more annoying to deal with if I'm understanding things.   I'll get more into all that in another post,  just thought it might be handy far as lighting goes for people to know the general idea cause I imagine whats in the tank determines the lights needed much like a freshwater tank.

Lighting Questions:

Lighting the 120-75 Gallon Tank:  Please correct me if I'm wrong anywhere here.

Us Current Orbit.   So these run about 230 dollars.   My best estimate is that I would need at least two to have an optimal amount of light for the coral to flourish.    Correct me if i'm wrong here which would put this setup to around 460+ Tax.   

Prime HD+   From what I gather these have a coverage area of 24x24   Thus again two would be needed.   So at about 210 dollars each I'd be looking at 420 dollars.  (Ouch again)

MarsAqua 165:   Now I figure in this case I'd probably need two,   but if two is enough we'd be down to about 200 dollars.   That seems more feasible.   Sure a second powercord but no less Less money is saving the bank.

Mars Aqua 300.   Now I wasn't able to find any coverage area information on this one,   So my question would be is one enough?   Or As before will I need a second?   These run about 200 dollars.

Viaparspectra 165:   Basically the same as the MarsAqua but it seems to have a timer and costs about 120,   so a pair of these would run about 240.   

Viparspectra 300  Sort of the same thing here Wasn't able to find coverage area information.   Is one enough do I need two?   These seem to run about 200 dollars.

Kessil 160w,   239 dollars,   24 inch coverage area,   I would need two and a controller I believe...  Somewhere around 666 dollars according to google.   Maybe Kessil is the devil?

So thats my research so far.   If anyone knows a better option or possible other solution that would work and save me any money on the lighting it would be greatly appreciated.   

Offline dbjonesjr

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: 75 - 120 Gallon Reef Lighting Questions.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 06:26:29 »
People around here like the Ocean Revive Arctic T247-B a lot. I used a pair on a 90 gallon and liked them a lot. I just downsized to a nano and am liking the Kessil I switched to a lot. I’d think that just two Primes or just two A160s would be a bit too little for the tank. You can get pairs of used A360s off reef2reef.com with controller and mounting for under $500 on a pretty regular basis.

Offline andys1982

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 09:55:21 »
I wouldn't be afraid of the cheap black boxes, and for those coral,  2 16" would be enough for either tank.  I'd go with the Mars.

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 19:40:08 »
JMO, the Ocean Revive shape gives them a little more balanced coverage on tanks that size. I have a Viper Spectra over my frag tank and I really like it as well. The timer is a nice plus on them.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 15:48:26 »
The Kessil 160 are only 40w. It would take a lot of those to light a reef. Ocean revive are great economical options with beautiful color and grow corals well. They are 120w each and heavy on the blue color. If you want to see them in action your welcome to come by.

Offline Joe_Fish

• Fry
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 00:51:04 »
Yeah I don't really get why the Kessil's are so expensive to be honest,  they confuse me a bit.   But whatever I suppose.    I think i've basically decided to give those 165 Spectra's a go.   This project won't be for awhile I'm more plotting it I guess at this point.    Tomorrow though,  I was offered a pretty decent deal on a Nano Tank so I'ma pick that up.   Think its an Innovative Marine 20 gallon Tank,  gonna stick it beside my computer here.   Though I believe I'm going to have to build supports for the desk here so it can actually hole the tank but thats not a huge deal I suppose.   Just a bit of construction should do the trick there. 

I still keep going back and forth on coals or just anemones in the 75,   Who knows really what I'll end up with when I get that.   I guess the Nano is going to be the sort of ground breaking experience then the 75 will come when I get the construction on that side of the room finished.

Back to Lighting though,    So the Ocean Revive whats its advantage over say the Viaparspectra 165 if there is any?   I guess why would it be worth spending the extra 60-80 dollars a light?