2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Anyone running T5 and Reefbrites?  (Read 2432 times)

Offline joelbegt

• Adult
Anyone running T5 and Reefbrites?
« on: February 28, 2018, 22:48:41 »
Is anyone on here running T5s and reefbrite leds?  If so I’m curious how you like them.  I’m considering a 6 bulb ATI setup with 2 blue XHO strips for my new setup

Offline JMM

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
Re: Anyone running T5 and Reefbrites?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 08:00:00 »
I have a 4 bulb off brand fixture with the reef rights. It’s one 36 inch strip across the front of the 48 inch fixture over a 70. Gives very nice shimmer and great color.
Jim

Offline joelbegt

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 09:42:13 »
Do you know if it was the XHO or the tech model?  What bulb combo are you using?

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 11:57:35 »
I think Agame uses ATI t5 fixture + some accent LED. You could try sending him a message.

120 gallon mixed reef.

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 21:45:43 »

I have been running the ATI T5 6 bulb with two BMLED strips for a few years now on my 120g main tank. My T5's are 48in, would need to look at Bulb combo but would read something like this: Hamilton 10k / Hamilton 420 Super Actinic / Hamilton 460 Actinic Royal Blue / ATI Aquablue / ATI Blue Plus / ATI Coral plus. The BMLED is a company out of Austin, Tx that made a Reefbrite competitive LED. They no longer make the Reef version just planted tank fixtures. I have a Royal blue and I believe 14k 48in as well. I have very good color and growth (SPS / LPS), depending on where you measure up high I get 350 - 450PAR. Hope this helps.  I have an older pic attached, may help?

Offline JMM

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 22:43:16 »
It’s the tech all blue. Just for color and shimmer Joel. First on and last off and gives great color. My new ATI has LEDs on it but have yet to get it up and running. Will be curious to see how the colals look under it.

Offline joelbegt

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 10:52:07 »
Thanks everyone for the input!  I made a diy led/t5 a few years back out of curiosity and like the look but want a more polished look than diy.  I think for now I will order a Sunpower 6 bulb and figure out what combo I want and then later on pick up 1 XHO and a dimmer and see if I like the look and decide if I want a second XHO or 2 Tech instead

Offline JMM

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 20:23:33 »
Thought I would throw this out there. Yesterday I used the club par meter to check my tank. It came back at around 90-100 at the water surface. Not sure what happened it’s the light fixture but I got my ATI power module hybrid out and set it up over the tank. The led function is great. Coral colors pop very well and there is plenty of shimmer. The ability to hook it up to your computer and adjust everything is a plus too. Might check it out while considering the sun power.
At the same time, if you want to try a reefbright strip mine is now on the shelf for a bit. If you are anywhere close to Lima I can make it available to try. It’s 36 inches and all blue. I have the dimmer for it but never used it.
Jim

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 21:24:49 »

JMM, not sure what was up with your PAR measure - very very low reading for water surface - for any fixture? Example with my Aquatic T5 6 bulb fixture I am 600PAR at surface and my BMLED strip is about 900 PAR at surface then of course a quick PAR drop off once you go lower in the tank. I get your 90 - 100 PAR at the bottom of my 120g main tank. My SPS in this 120g main tank get about 350 - 450 PAR up high on my rock work.  Keep us posted with your results.

Offline JMM

• Juvenile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 21:49:44 »
I wonder if a ballistics went bad or something. I am not good with electronics so don’t know what my next move is with that fixture. The ATI is way, way higher. Just have to acclimate all the corals to the new light.  It was interesting to find that my extra tank which has just live rock in it has 245 par mid tank. It’s a four bulb fixture that sits right on the rim of the tank. This is the tank that I throw any coral into that has been doing poorly in the 70 reef. Most corals respond quite well in this tank and recover and grow. It’s just outfitted with a hang on back skimmer and two powerheads. No water changes, just top offs. My hope and expectation is that my corals ,once the light is advanced some , will take right off in the 70. 

Offline joelbegt

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 18:44:00 »
Thought I would throw this out there. Yesterday I used the club par meter to check my tank. It came back at around 90-100 at the water surface. Not sure what happened it’s the light fixture but I got my ATI power module hybrid out and set it up over the tank. The led function is great. Coral colors pop very well and there is plenty of shimmer. The ability to hook it up to your computer and adjust everything is a plus too. Might check it out while considering the sun power.
At the same time, if you want to try a reefbright strip mine is now on the shelf for a bit. If you are anywhere close to Lima I can make it available to try. It’s 36 inches and all blue. I have the dimmer for it but never used it.
Jim

Hey Jim,  I’ve looked into hybrid fixtures but to be honest it’s just not in the budget for a 65 gallon.  I’ve tried T5s and LEDs alone and together.  I have decided over the years that I like the even par and color of T5 and the pop of LED blues.  Thank you for the offer to try the strip but I will pass for now.  Unfortunately I have a lot more work to do before it sees water