2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: first attempt to frag-green nephthea  (Read 3434 times)

Offline oldschoolcoupe

• Juvenile
first attempt to frag-green nephthea
« on: October 20, 2014, 16:46:48 »
I am wanting to try and frag a green nephthea. I was going to cut off one of the main branches (with razor blade) and use CA glue to attach it to a piece of rubble. The bad part is that I only have the one tank, so both pieces will be in the tank with other coral. Hammer and frogspawn are the only LPS. I do have two SPS corals that came with LR that I bought, I do not know the names. Am I asking for trouble with putting them back in the tank? Should I not do this? Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: first attempt to frag-green nephthea
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 20:47:10 »
If you are concerned about toxins, you might consider running a little fresh carbon.

Offline oldschoolcoupe

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 20:58:18 »
toxins and it not healing properly are my concerns. I have never attempted to frag anything except reattaching kenya tree bits. It has a main "trunk" and two main branches. I was wanting to cut off each brach and reattach them individually. Do I discard the trunk?

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 22:40:35 »

Do I discard the trunk?

Don't discard the trunk, it will and regenerate, like having 3 frags. I frag zoas and palys in my system all the time, it is [was] all plumbed together. There are lots of ways to frag softies, have fun. The way I do xenia, which should be similar to nepthia, is take some light fishing line, thread it to a sewing needle. Run enough through the coral so you can tie a double knot. Cut and tie to a small piece of rubble and in a few days it should attach to the rubble, clip the line and pull it out.