2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: The Heat Wave...  (Read 1578 times)

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
The Heat Wave...
« on: July 21, 2019, 09:20:27 »
With the heat wave we’ve been under, my AC is running non stop from 10am to 10pm. I normally use an exhaust fan in my reef room to push CO2 outside. My pH usually bottoms out at about 7.95 at night. Yesterday I had to take the fan out of the window because the tanks were getting pretty warm and I needed to keep the AC in the house. I got up this morning and my pH was down to 7.7 and my Alk shot up to 9.2 from 8.9. How are you guys dealing with low pH/Alk adjustments?

Offline erky

• Adult
Re: The Heat Wave...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 11:28:57 »
alkalinity monitor is my solution...

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 11:52:05 »
That’s the ultimate solution Erky, I just don’t have an extra $600 laying around this year. My gutters fell off my house and all the fascia and gutters needed replaced, my son turned 16 and needed a car and my daughter is getting married Aug 10th. Been an expensive year for me. Lol

I’m just wondering what some of the cheaper alternatives people may be using are. If any....

alkalinity monitor is my solution...

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 15:52:43 »
That’s the ultimate solution Erky, I just don’t have an extra $600 laying around this year. My gutters fell off my house and all the fascia and gutters needed replaced, my son turned 16 and needed a car and my daughter is getting married Aug 10th. Been an expensive year for me. Lol

I’m just wondering what some of the cheaper alternatives people may be using are. If any....

co2 scrubber/material costly in the long run.

where is your tank location in the house? (if basement vent the air that is on the ground and that will clear more CO2 than not. I think someone had a post about hooking up a fan that blows out to fresh air. you can always dose soda ash more at night than the day, start a fuge with an opposite light schedule.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 17:23:02 »

I have a quad level house. The reef room is the level that’s half underground. I normally run a window fan to push house air outside but I had to take it out of the window due to the high heat. It was pushing too much cool air out of the house.

I do dose soda ash for alk. But I’m wondering if I shouldn’t cut that back and add a little kalk to my top off. I’ve read that it really bumps your pH up and as a side effect also lowers PO4. I’ve never used it though.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 02:39:43 »
I took advantage of the cooler air today and opened my windows for a while to get some oxygen into the house.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 16:11:55 »
Same Steve. Back up to 8.18 at the moment. Much better than 7.7!

I took advantage of the cooler air today and opened my windows for a while to get some oxygen into the house.