2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Fritz Reef Pro Mix - "Complete Sea Salt"  (Read 1320 times)

Offline tidepool

• Adult
Fritz Reef Pro Mix - "Complete Sea Salt"
« on: February 09, 2019, 14:34:49 »
Greetings from the Great White North...

Not sure how relevant this will be to everyone in OH, but thought I would post anyways, so my pain would be your gain...

For some reason, I/O Reef Crystals are no longer being shipped to Canada - the "new" big boy on the block in our LFS's is Fritz RPM (comes in red or blue boxes) which also comes from the US... Lately, I was having issues with my I/O mixing cloudy and having "scum" on the water surface - this coupled with great things I read online about Fritz made the switch seem like a good idea... anyways, I noticed "issues" with my Alk and thought it was my doser... turns out its my salt mix!  All the videos I have seen posted about Fritz share how "great" their quality control program is and that their salt mixes to a DKH of @ 9.8 - 10 DKH... well my salt mix (blue box) is coming in at only 6.89 DKH so the spikes have been happening during water changes... a number of other local reefers have told me the same thing - the ones using the "blue box" mix to @ 7 DKH while those using the "red box" mix to DKH of @ 11 ... so if you have or are thinking about switching - make sure to test the Alk and other parameters BEFORE your 1st water change...

YES,  I should have known better and tested when I made the salt switch on my own... Stupid, Stupid, Stupid me...