2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: montipora issuea  (Read 2776 times)

Offline erky

• Adult
montipora issuea
« on: February 05, 2018, 08:13:37 »

that started yesterday, no clue what is going on.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: montipora issuea
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 08:24:19 »
I sincerely hope you don’t have the bacterial infection I had... is this the only coral effected?

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 08:28:56 »
yeah it is, I cant really pull this coral out as it is 100% encrusted. were you able to get any traction on your issue? Any clue how it happened?

I had been dosing lanthanum chloride via skimmer, but no filter sock, maybe that has something to do with it... 

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 08:34:45 »
Good. Maybe you’re right about the LC and it is localized.

I think I’m heading in the right direction. I’ve completed 2 rounds of Doxy and I’ve got some color coming back on my Spongode and Sunset Montis. Pictures are in the Doxy thread....

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 08:37:09 »
Oh, and it came from an infected coral from the Dayton swap. Wiped out about 40 SPS and about 15 LPS.

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 08:37:43 »
Good. Maybe you’re right about the LC and it is localized.

I think I’m heading in the right direction. I’ve completed 2 rounds of Doxy and I’ve got some color coming back on my Spongode and Sunset Montis. Pictures are in the Doxy thread....

if you need either of those corals again, I have tons on them "currently" lol, but would love to thin my spongodes out and a giant sunset that needs to get out of my tank.

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 08:39:18 »
Oh, and it came from an infected coral from the Dayton swap. Wiped out about 40 SPS and about 15 LPS.

well i did just add 2 new corals from the cincy swap, but that was a few weeks ago, I have a feeling it could be from 1 of two things or both. Raising my calcium too fast or dosing the Lanthanum without a 5 micron sock to catch the flocc 

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 08:55:57 »
No experience with LC here.
My situation appeared 2 weeks after the Dayton swap. I believe my lighting change stressed the Corals just enough for them to be attacked. Then it spread thru the whole tank like a death plague. Tissue sloughing off the coral and/or the coral turning a dry brown color until algae took it over. Very disheartening to watch. I’ll catch it earlier, should there be a next time....

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 08:58:36 »
No experience with LC here.
My situation appeared 2 weeks after the Dayton swap. I believe my lighting change stressed the Corals just enough for them to be attacked. Then it spread thru the whole tank like a death plague. Tissue sloughing off the coral and/or the coral turning a dry brown color until algae took it over. Very disheartening to watch. I’ll catch it earlier, should there be a next time....

well tonight i plan to do a water change, carbon change, and pull this coral if i can. I hope it is not what you are describing, but how do you tell...

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 12:53:32 »
Just what I described. Non discriminant. It will kill everything. The only way to describe it is to look at this picture....