2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Brown algea or diatom problem  (Read 3272 times)

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
Brown algea or diatom problem
« on: April 27, 2008, 19:44:36 »
I have this problem with brownish film on everything in my tank.  My rocks, glass and substrate.  I spoke with North Dixie Reef and he suggested a solution by taking all the light from my tank for 24 hours.  I did that and the rock and substrate improved 50% but the glass is still horrible.  Any suggestions?  My phospahtes were almost 0 , Ph was 8.0 and raised it to 8.2.  All other tests are normal.  He also siad if it is diatoms to not clean off b/c they spore off.  So I have not done that. 

MechanicalEngineer

Re: Brown algea or diatom problem
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 19:52:23 »
Chances are, your phosphates are not at zero.  Although a test kit may read zero, that is simply what is left after all of the algae is able to feed off it.  Are you using any phosphate reacting media?  If not, I would start that immediately. 

Could you please remind us more about your system?  When did this problem start?  Age of tank?  Lighting system & the last time the light bulbs were changed?  Do you use RO/DI water?  What are your nitrates?  How often do you feed?  Yada yada yada...everything you can think of!

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 19:55:01 »
Ok, here goes all info I can think of:
120 gal tank
30 gal sump
berlin classic protein skimmer
Reef set up
80 pounds live rock
mostly mushrooms and zoas
temp 78 deg
Nitrates and Nitrites are 0
Ph 8.2
Salinity 1.025
Current power compact lights
Koralia 4 powerhead
feed them 1xday at night, mostly mysis shrimp and formula 1&2
Fish and coral seem to be doing well

Today after the light has been on x 6hrs - back to rock and sand brown. 

Don't know what to do!!!!

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 19:56:05 »
OH - just bought the light 2 weeks ago, I have used Phosgard and do 1-2 water changes a month.  Think thats it

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 20:51:51 »
Let me think on this one.  Until then, try stepping up your water changes to once a week, about 10-20%.  What is the TDS of the water you're using?  This seems to be the one factor you left out...which makes me the most curious.  Is it RO/DI water?

NORTHDIXIEREEF

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 22:31:41 »
SORRY I DID NOT SEE YOUR IM UNTIL NOW (10:15)

IF THE BROWN IS COMING BACK IT VERY WELL MAY BE SILICA'S SEEN YOUR OR/ DI  FILTER HAS BEEN SITTING WITH WATER IN IT. BRING ME A SAMPLE OF YOUR WATER FROM THE OR FILTER AND LET ME CHECK IT WITH A EC/ TDS METER. PLUS BRING ME A GOOD SIZE SAMPLE OF TANK WATER AND WE WILL TEST FOR SILICA AND PHOSPHATES AGAIN.

DIATOMS YOU REALLY DO NOT WANT TO DO WATER CHANGES
SILICA AND PHOSPHATES NEED WATER CHANGES

IF THE OR / DI WATER TEST GOO AND THERE ARE NO SIGNS OF SILICA OR PHOSPHATES IN THE TANK WATER. YOU SHOULD PROBABLY GET A REACTOR. SOMETIME PHOSPHATES WILL NOT SHOW ON TEST KITS , BUT CAN STILL CAUSE PROBLEMS FOR YOU.

JUST THE NEW LIGHTS AND THE WATER SETTING IN THE OR /DI UNIT AND AGE OF FILTERS I WOULD WANT TO RULE OUT ALL THE CHEAP FIXES FIRST.

I HAVE A KENT PHOSPHATE REACTOR IN STOCK THE COST IS $49.95, THAT THE REASON I WANTED TO RULE OUT DIATOMS.

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTION PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CALL ME, ONCE AGAIN I DID NOT SEE YOU IM UNTIL 10:15 THE SHOP GOT BUSY ABOUT 7:45 UNTIL 9:30.

THANK, DODD

NORTHDIXIEREEF

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 06:03:33 »
WITH THE BROWN ALGEA COMING BACK AFTER BEENING EXPOSED TO LIGHT MAKE BE BELIVE IT IS A DIATOM PROBLEM. LIKE I SAID EARLIER, BRING SOME WATER SAMPLES TO THE SHOP. I DO NOT THINK I WOULD DO A WATER CHANGES UNTIL WE TEST YOUR RO UNIT {BECAUSE OF SILICA}. I ALSO HAVE A COUPLE OF BOOKS- ALGEA, A PROBLEM SOLVER GUIDE BY JULIAN , ALSO MARINE ALGAE CONTROL SECRETS BY BOB GOESMANS. FEEL FREE TO STOP BY AND LOOK OVER THESE BOOKS, OR EVEN CHECK THEM OUT WITH ARE LOANER PROGRAM.
AND THANKS TO REEF'D UP I HAVE SOME GREAT INFO ON MEDUSA WORMS WHICH PRIMARILY FEED ON DIATOMS.

GREAT LINK ON MEDUSA WORMS :
     http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/invert.htm
ONE OTHER THING CHECK THE SALT MIX YOU ARE USING, SOME MIXES CONTAIN PHOSPHATES AND SILICATES.WHICH WILL BUILD UP OVER TIME AND THE NEW LIGHT OULD BRING TO LIFE.
I HOPE THIS HELPS