2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Trial treatment with fluconazole- 40g breeder  (Read 10593 times)

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
Re: Trial treatment with fluconazole- 40g breeder
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2017, 18:29:01 »
I am on day 11.  I came home to zero bryopsis and zero green algae that was growing on the rocks.  Still not sure exactly what was on the rocks, but it had to be some form of the green.  it wasn't hairy.
Doesn't matter, I will continue till friday (day 14), and do a water change and get things back to normal.

If it doesn't ever come back, this flucon is amazing.

teach me to ever buy a frag with anything, other than coral, growing from it.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2017, 20:51:34 »
Hi Vicki, are you seeing any better reaults?

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2017, 13:51:13 »
I'll jump in here, Today is my 14th day and from what I can tell, all my bry/algae is long gone.  So I will attempt to do a water change and get my carbon back on line tonight.
Let's hope it never re-appears.

mtamorrow, did you conclude your treatment?  all gone?

vicki - as lazy mentioned, where do you stand?

Offline kellyj

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2017, 15:14:59 »
I started treatment on my 90 gallon display on Monday and my 75 gallon frag tank yesterday.  Too soon to expect any changes but I will keep updates coming.  I ordered more fluconazole in case I need to add another dose.  Left skimmers running in both tanks with GFO and filter sock in display tank.
Kelly

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2017, 18:09:03 »
It took me 2 full doses and 4 weeks. Just did a 33% WC today and added a bag of carbon. No more GHA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It costs HOW much?!

Offline kellyj

• Adult
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2017, 11:04:22 »
Update on my tanks.  The algae in the display tank has begun whitening and coming loose from the rock.  Filter sock is half full.  Still a lot of algae left but hopefully that is dying.  Frag tank has bubbles forming and coming off the algae.  Will update again when all algae is gone or re-dose is necessary.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2017, 16:18:34 »
Sounds promising.

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2017, 17:09:26 »
Anyone know what happened to Vicki?

Offline wrassel

• Fry
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2017, 13:27:39 »
Any further updates from anyone? I'm thinking of trying this also. I have some algae that just will not go away. I can knock it back and it's not getting worse but just keeps hanging on.

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2017, 14:25:01 »
Any further updates from anyone? I'm thinking of trying this also. I have some algae that just will not go away. I can knock it back and it's not getting worse but just keeps hanging on.
What kind of algae do you have?

It costs HOW much?!

Offline wrassel

• Fry
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2017, 15:29:16 »
I'm not 100 percent sure but my best guess is bryopsis. It looks like hair algae from a distance but up close it is branched and the branches have fine "hairs" on them. I have dealt with hair algae before and this is definitely different from any previous algae I have dealt with. It came in on a frag plug from a swap over a year ago and I have been battling it since. I doubled my frequency on water changes and got more aggressive with my gfo. This has definitely helped I think especially the gfo but it will just not die out.

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2017, 15:34:02 »
That's exactly how my bryopsis was introduced to my tank, a frag plug.
Won't be buying coral from that LFS again :), regardless if I know how to get rid of bryopsis now, not the point :)

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2017, 15:35:56 »
I'm not 100 percent sure but my best guess is bryopsis. It looks like hair algae from a distance but up close it is branched and the branches have fine "hairs" on them. I have dealt with hair algae before and this is definitely different from any previous algae I have dealt with. It came in on a frag plug from a swap over a year ago and I have been battling it since. I doubled my frequency on water changes and got more aggressive with my gfo. This has definitely helped I think especially the gfo but it will just not die out.
Ok. I had GHA and it's was gone w 2 doses/4 weeks. Haven't seen it come back. Eradicates bryopsis faster than GHA. No ill side effects posted on any forum I follow.  Only a bunch of happy people!

It costs HOW much?!

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2017, 17:33:32 »
well, I am close to 2 months since being bryopsis free.  The other day I took a gander in my tank and noticed my bryopsis has returned.  same exact spot, but this time, it has grown back 2-3 times as fast, than it ever has.  I am not quite sure why.

The only change that i have done within the last 2 months, is that i began dosing to get my alkalinity up.  right now its hovering below low 9's and high 8's.

obviously its not going to disappear, so i will need to does the flucon again.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2017, 19:04:34 »
I dosed 6,000mg on Sunday. No negative symptoms so far.

Offline wrassel

• Fry
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2017, 22:07:26 »
I dosed on the 28. No ill effects. There has definitely been a dye back of algae, other spots are hanging on. I'm hoping for some further dye off in the next week, but it has definitely had an effect on it.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2017, 00:49:44 »
Thats great wrassel. Not to many problem solvers in this hobby with no negative effects
I noticed tonight the algae has a white look to it on the tips and is easy to pull off. I also saw some floating in water column so it is detaching on its own. Phosphate was a little higher, guessing from die off so i added some gfo.

Offline wrassel

• Fry
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2017, 00:56:31 »
Just a note I left my gfo, skimmer, and lights on the regular schedule. I only took the carbon offline. The skimmer is pulling way more than normal now. I'm guessing from the die off and breakdown of the algea. My gfo was about 2/3 used when I started so I need to add a new batch now also.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2017, 01:36:47 »
What kind of algae are you treating for?
I get some filimiant type algae that my clean up crew doesnt like. Also uvla which everything loves to eat but it gets in places tangs cant get to and doesnt look nice.

Offline wrassel

• Fry
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2017, 11:34:18 »
I'm not 100 percent sure what I have. It looks like hair algea at a distance but it is branched. To me it is not the text book bryopsis, but nothing that I have tried for the last year would totally kill it out. It has taken a big hit from the treatment but is definitely not gone yet.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2017, 21:54:59 »
5 days in and 75% gone. Still no negative effects. This stuff is AWESOME!

Offline Logzor

• Juvenile
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2017, 13:05:44 »
Where did you guys order from?

Offline kellyj

• Adult
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2017, 13:11:33 »
I ordered from here:  https://www.payless-petproducts.com/fluconazole200.html: but I believe Lazy was going to get some.
Kelly

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2017, 13:33:23 »
The algae is gone for me. I will likely do another dose in a few weeks just to be sure.

I ordered from here:  https://www.payless-petproducts.com/fluconazole200.html: but I believe Lazy was going to get some.
Kelly
I have it in stock for $2 a pill for those local to me.

Offline wrassel

• Fry
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2017, 22:54:13 »
I'm about 16 days in now. I would say my algea is 90% gone. There are a few patches that are weakened but not totally dead yet. I'm going to hold off on a water change another week. The only thing that died besides my target was some calcified algea that had begun growing in the tank. No loss since I had to trim this back regularly but it turned white and died after the medication was added. This has definitely been a great tool. I may consider a second dose a week or so after I do a water change just to try and kill everything completely. I guess I will see how it goes over the next few weeks.