2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Interesting article on nutrients  (Read 3299 times)

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
Interesting article on nutrients
« on: February 10, 2018, 16:29:26 »
https://appliedecology.cals.ncsu.edu/absci/2014/02/nutrients-and-coral-growth-nitrogen-impairs-but-phosphorus-aids/

I am trying to figure out more about ideal nutrient levels for my reef since I can’t seem to figure out an efficient way to export them even with weekly 15 gallon water changes. I’m algae free and seeing pretty good growth with these numbers. I’ve actually never seen a point in my tank with with less algae than I have now.

The article states nitrogen and phosphate from fish poop is “good” and nitrogen and phosphate from pollution is “bad”. I thought I would share this article that I found to be interesting.

120 gallon mixed reef.

Offline joelbegt

• Adult
Re: Interesting article on nutrients
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 17:51:47 »
Have you considered running a carbon source?  Vinegar or vodka would be a cheap effective way to get things lower, but ultimately you need to figure out the source of your nutrients. I personally feel stability is more important than a particular number to be honest.  More flow or a better skimmer will help if you are looking for lower nutrients. 

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 18:04:42 »
I use bioptim and biodigest as my carbon dosing. I’m not terribly worried about the numbers, just reefing with my eyes

120 gallon mixed reef.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 19:08:15 »
I don’t know much about carbon dosing other than it increases bacteria. I am just curious as to why you feel you need to dose it?

Offline joelbegt

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 20:23:00 »
It would bring down those high nitrates and phosphates while feeding the corals with bacterial mulm.  It may bottom out phosphate first with the numbers posted, so testing often and possibly dosing phosphate to keep the nitrate coming down. 

Offline joelbegt

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 20:36:23 »
The article also makes me wonder if the ammonia itself from the fish is why the corals benefit from fish nutrients rather than runoff nutrients.  In the past I considered ammonia dosing to create nutrients instead of getting more fish of adding tons of foods(tank was too ULN).  I thought I had read a study that showed corals can directly uptake ammonia while algae’s don’t.  Never did it but it would be interesting to try one day

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
Interesting article on nutrients
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 21:12:34 »
The article also makes me wonder if the ammonia itself from the fish is why the corals benefit from fish nutrients rather than runoff nutrients.  In the past I considered ammonia dosing to create nutrients instead of getting more fish of adding tons of foods(tank was too ULN).  I thought I had read a study that showed corals can directly uptake ammonia while algae’s don’t.  Never did it but it would be interesting to try one day

Interesting theory. I took a full year of organic chemistry in college and unfortunately barely remember any of it. I know nitrates are hardly bothersome to fish so my experiment is to just leave my current routine status quo and see how the corals, clam and inverts respond.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 21:25:45 by Heinbaughb »

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 13:42:27 »
Ironically, the latest BRS MACNA video is on this same subject. His conclusion is his reef didn't look any different at 5-10 nitrate as it did at 91 nitrate. Same with phosphate which reached levels of 2.8.  The title of the speech is "the right kind of lazy".

Offline joelbegt

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 20:11:37 »
If I get a chance I will have to listen to that at work tomorrow

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 20:41:02 »
those levels are pretty elivated, a 125 ppb on that meter = .38 ppm po4. Id stop with the constant water changes increase skimming and figure out how to either add a fuge or dose vinegar/vodka to get those numbers down. With your levels that high i suspect you will have a GHA outbreak soon. get a fuge so you dont have that issue.

Offline Gary

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 22:04:29 »
There is never a simple answer in this hobby. Here is another interesting read. Redfield Ratio is the empirically determined stoichiometric ratio of carbon:nitrogen:phosphorus. Originally thought to be 106:16:1 but maybe 117:14:1 (ratio vs concentration of C:N:P). It also has a dosing calculator.

https://buddendo.home.xs4all.nl/aquarium/redfield_eng.htm