2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Hippo gots ick  (Read 3043 times)

quicksilver

Hippo gots ick
« on: July 19, 2008, 10:58:30 »
Is there anything I can do that will get rid of the ick on my hippo tang without hurting the tank. Should I catch him Problem is I dont have a quarantine tank. Need some help.

Offline reefman

• Adult
Re: Hippo gots ick
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 11:12:08 »
Just feed him well, if he is healthy he will live.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 14:17:30 »
Is there anything I can do that will get rid of the ick on my hippo tang without hurting the tank. Should I catch him Problem is I dont have a quarantine tank. Need some help.

Helpful link:

http://www.ohioreef.com/forum/index.php?topic=1761.0

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 14:34:44 »
Those fish are pretty notorious for getting ick
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

quicksilver

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 16:23:57 »
He is very healty largest fish in the fish tank how sure are you he will live. I'm about to buy a 65+ gallon QT so I need to know if he will be ok. I dont want to add anything to the tank that kills ick I am not to trusting of all that stuff. Unless some one knows of a better way to treat the fish tank.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 18:10:52 »
There's a whole thread on this that has been stickied in this forum.  Might want to read it for some good information.

http://www.ohioreef.com/forum/index.php?topic=1761.0

Offline reefman

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 21:55:23 »
No one can say 100% for sure but if you feed it well with selcon soaked food you have a good chance he will live.
I do not think removing him will help. If there are still fish in the tank, the ick will always be there and when you move him back he will get it again.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 22:13:32 »
To do it right you need to remove ALL the fish from the tank and allow it to run fishless for, I believe, 3 months. This will allow all the ich to complete their life cycle and die off.

In the meantime you can be treating the fish in a QT tank where you won't have to worry about treatments killing corals, inverts, etc.

quicksilver

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 10:52:47 »
The hippo really never got ich untill I added another tang its alot smaller than the hippo and it seems like the hippo always picks on him and runs him into the live rock but you would think the other tang would get ich not the big one so after I treat the tank I will keep that other tang in my QT for good or sell him. I will let you know I am in the market for a full fish tank set up 55 gallons or larger so....if you have one you need to get rid of think of me thanks guys.