2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 38 gallon lighting  (Read 1609 times)

Offline ucbearcats

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
38 gallon lighting
« on: December 27, 2017, 12:52:20 »
I recently got a 38 gallon tank.  I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on a LED light.  I would like it to have legs to mount on top of the tank.  I am looking to keep mostly Lps and zoas.  Maybe an anemone down the road. I found the aquamaxx prism led light, but wasn't sure if that would be good for what I wanted to do.

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
Re: 38 gallon lighting
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 21:01:34 »
What are the dimensions

Offline ucbearcats

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 06:05:09 »
36.25L 12W 20H

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 13:40:40 »
Darn 36” can be difficult to light as many fixtures are planned for 24”.

Personally, I’m kind of cheap on equipment—Absurdly addicted and stupid with livestock.

Cheap solution that would work great (but would need to be turned down to 35-40% or even less) would be mars aqua or similar 300 watt fixture on ebay or amazon probably 150 bucks. I think troyreef had 2 AI Primes over a 36” tank if I recall. About $400 bucks new I guess.  Much more controllable.

I don’t think a 4 bulb t5 would produce enough PAR with your depth.  Perhaps a higher watt fixture?

Hopefully some others will chime in with some other options. Budget a big factor.

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 14:05:34 »
Sorry I see you mentioned the AquaMaxx. I don’t think 72 Watts is enough. My daughter has 144w over her nano tank.  Lenses can make a big difference though so perhaps AquaMaxx gets it done with less wattage. No legs on the mars aqua unfortunately.

I bought 2 12” lights from FULCAT on eBay. Dimmable  with legs and full spectrum. They have a 216 watt dimmable with legs for a 36” tank for $73.  Separate white and blue channels but no day and night features. I also took off the lenses because the were blasting her tank with par. This is easy and described YouTube. Can’t fully support the quality because we’ve only had them a month, but so far so good.

You wouldn’t need to run them full strength I don’t think.

One idea.

Offline ucbearcats

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 07:45:48 »
Thank you for the help and suggestion.