2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: The nightmare begins!  (Read 12836 times)

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
The nightmare begins!
« on: April 06, 2018, 14:50:06 »
  After alot of thinking and doubt I purchased a new tank.  I was able to find a tank from customaquariums.com and they had my tank that had been built for a customer that canceled the order.  The only problem was the tank doesnt have an upper and lower frame and the bottom was drilled already.  I was able to get it for a third of the price.  I will be glassing over the holes in the bottom.  For the frame I plan on installing an euroframe with 1 1/2 angle aluminum that my boss will weld up for me as a top and bottom frame.  I enjoy this part, but not getting it down the stairs and doing the actual swap of fish and corals.
  The tank is rated at 210 gallon with the same footprint of my 180 except it is 6 in deeper front to back.  I plan on rebuilding my stand to fit the new tank and building a new hood.  That should save quite a bit of money having not to buy a new stand.  I'll add as things progress.
Jeff

Offline Agame43

• Adult
Re: The nightmare begins!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 16:03:13 »

Good luck, I'm excited and you only have the box lid off so far - should be a good build.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 19:13:05 »
Awesome Jeff!

Offline soldiers4christ50

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 19:26:10 »
Good luck on the build Jeff. I’m sure it will look amazing.

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 19:58:15 »
Awesome! Following along on this one for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It costs HOW much?!

Offline yinyang

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 00:00:23 »
This is awesome, good luck with your new tank.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 09:40:18 »
I would like opinions on the upper tank bracing.  The tank came without any bracing, I have ordered glass cut to install a 3in eurobrace all the way around the tank with 2 four in center braces.  I had planned on installing a 1 1/2in aluminum angle frame over this but think maybe the frame and eurobracing would be overkill for a tank of this size.  what do you all think?
Jeff

Offline joelbegt

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 19:39:43 »
How thick is the glass?  Def don’t need both and would think metal with cross bracing would have less effect on lighting.

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 20:34:48 »
I don't know too much about euro brace etc but my 120 has a black center brace and I can't stand it. It serves a purpose but is a killer when it comes to lighting.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 22:57:41 »
How thick is the glass?  Def don’t need both and would think metal with cross bracing would have less effect on lighting.
Glass is 1/2 in.  The angle I ordered is 1 1/2 in and the cross braces I ordered are going to be 2 in.
thanks
Jeff

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 23:26:10 »
I have decided to put my corals and rock through a qt and pest dip routine while I am doing the tank swap.  Tonight I removed all my rock that didnt have any corals on them and placed them in a 55 gallon tank for cleaning and qt.  I kept the rocks that are well encrusted with coral in the main tank and will dip them and return them to the tank.   All smaller frags that werent encrusted were removed and are now in my frag tank.   I'll be leaving all fish in the main display during this process.  They arent happy but will adjust.  Once the new tank is ready I will have to move the fish and remaining corals to a holding tank so I can start rebuilding the stand to accommodate the new tank.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 23:57:45 »
 Congrats on the new tank Jeff !   Looking forward to see this build come along. How come you’re doing the pest routine are you dealing with anything or just taking a vantage of the situation?

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 11:53:06 »
Congrats on the new tank Jeff !   Looking forward to see this build come along. How come you’re doing the pest routine are you dealing with anything or just taking a vantage of the situation?
I went through a fight with aefw several years ago. All my corals recovered and have been thriving. A couple months back I was having issues with one coral and found a couple larger worms on it. I treated that coral which has recovered nicely. With the thinking where there's one there might be more I am being proactive and going to do the full 6-8 week  treatment on everything.  I plan on a once a week dip for at least 6 week while leaving all the rock without coral fallow in the 55 gallon tank. Separating the rock out is the one thing I didn't do 2 years ago when I treated for aefw.
Jeff

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 19:30:39 »
Ah okay that makes sense. It is defintley the perfect time to do it.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 22:35:31 »
I decided that rather then modify my current stand to fit the new tank and having concerns if the old stand will be strong enough for the added weight I am building a new stand.  I used (11) 2x4's,(5) 1x4's and 2 sheets of plywood.  There is a diy build thread on reef central that I got my basic ideas from.  I built it so that I can use the doors off my old stand.  I plan on spray painting it an antique white and trying my hand at rubbing on brown glaze for highlights.  I also increased the height of the stand to 32in. My old stand is 28in and is awkward to view the tank without bending over some.  I may regret not going taller then 32in but didnt want to have to get a step stool to work inside the tank.
Jeff

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 22:49:43 »
Ive  ran into my first real problem with my aefw treatment program.  Since I pulled most all of my live rock from my system my phosphates have skyrocketed.  tonight they tested at .47  Ouch.  started dosing lanthanum. Red slime going crazy on the sand bed and corals seem stressed.  Hoping the phos come down soon.
Jeff

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2018, 08:15:04 »
Jeff, I think the new stand is a fantastic idea rather than trying to retro fit the old one. Your build looks great and just like my two stands. I used the same schematic from RC lol.

As for the PO4, are you feeding the corals? And are the corals in the same system as the fish?

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2018, 09:43:05 »
I as a general rule dont feed my corals, just lots of light.  I believe my home made mixture of frozen food I feed is high in phosphates.  I have to dose lanthanum  on a regular basis for phosphates.  I think I will do some experimenting with my food and put it in some water and test it for phosphates.
Jeff

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2018, 20:19:57 »
I installed the glass bracing and the glass patches for the holes in the bottom of the tank today.  Also cut the aluminum angle for the top and bottom frames.  Should get them welded next week and then off for powder coating. 
Jeff

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2018, 21:43:48 »
Looking good :)

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2018, 22:48:46 »
Thanks Brian, Im gonna have to do a porch swing by for the clubs 63mm hole saw.  I am going with a synergy shadow overflow that I need to drill for.  Just thinking about drilling the tank makes me nervous even though everyone says it is easy.  My newest issue is the power supply for my leds that I just bought died yesterday.  Back to the 2 t-5 bulbs till I can get things sorted out.  Luckily most of my corals are in my frag tank that is still fully lit.
Jeff

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2018, 12:22:32 »
I have two black box LEDs that I'm not using.  You are welcome to use them as long as you need them

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2018, 22:48:41 »
Since my tank is temporarily  in the dark I decided to switch over my lighting into the new hood that I built.  My t-5 lights died on me yesterday, while I was switching things over today I found a burnt up bulb socket and the pins of the bulb basically gone.  I ordered a new light socket tonight.  Luckily most of my corals are in my frag tank which are still fine.  Planning on welding up the top and bottom frames tomorrow then off to powder coating.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2018, 21:58:21 »
Finally cut and fit the aluminum angle to the tank frame today.  My boss is a very good tig welder and he welded it for me.  A little grinding of the welds and it will be off to power coating.  Next step will be drilling holes for my overflow and installing the frames after I get them coated.
Jeff

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2018, 11:08:32 »
Moving along Jeff. Looking good!