2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: New Life Spectrum Ich Shield  (Read 3826 times)

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
New Life Spectrum Ich Shield
« on: August 01, 2017, 21:47:42 »
My new tank additions of a striped burrfish and raccoon butterfly came down with the first case of crypt in my tank. I'm new to treating this in a marine set up and was looking for an option that I could use to treat the display tank as I don't have a up and running quarantine tank. This product is supposed to kill the ich cycle if the fish eat the pellets for a full 21 days. I'm on day 2..I'll let you all know if it works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Agame43

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: New Life Spectrum Ich Shield
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 21:42:13 »

I use this as well and it seems to work, soak the pellets in garlic and Selcon to help boost immune system, these pellets do not taste the best either. The fish may get tired of them so soaking does help.

Good luck!

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 18:15:32 »
The Powder is great.  I use the powder as a preventative in QT, but the powder cannot be used in a reef tank. 

I was successful in curing Velvet on a foxface in QT, and I haven't seen Ich since employing the powder as a prophylatic. I believe the Key ingredient is CP (chloroquintine phosphate). One shot and you're done with the powder.  I have heard wrasses have difficulty tolerating it, but I have used it as a preventative successfully with wrasses.

Pellets have the same ingredient, and it should be effective.  Seachem focus is another additive which might help make it palatable if they won't eat it.  Fingers crossed.

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 18:20:01 »
Thank you for your advice. Everything seemed to be going well until I did a water change yesterday. It seemed to have stressed out my puffer and now in addition to ick on his body and fins, he's been just laying on my live rock and has lost some color in his normally yellow spikes.  Still eats a little so I'm just hoping he can recover.

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 20:06:50 »

I use one other product with pretty good success - Dr. G's Parasite Caviar, worked well, I feed it still once or twice a week.

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 10:00:39 »
To follow up on this review, the product has lots of potential but my fish stopped eating it even after soaking it in garlic extreme. I'll probably try it again in the future though with new arrivals in a quarantine tank.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 14:49:03 »
Brian, how is the puffer doing now?

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 14:57:30 »
I had lost him a few weeks ago when he got stuck in my hospital tanks pump. It was traumatic and that's when we decided to change route to corals

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 18:28:14 »
: ( That stinks

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 18:28:45 »
I remember you telling us that at the meeting now...

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 18:35:50 »
Really cool fish though. Seem to be out of stock everywhere, maybe because they are hard to keep healthy. I'm exited to start collecting frags. I got three from the 3/$35 at Gerber that seem to be doing well and my coralline has started to take off so I think my tank is ready or nearly ready to start adding some more corals. If you have anything nice for sale I'd be interested.