2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Fresh Saltwater Parameter Help  (Read 2106 times)

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Fresh Saltwater Parameter Help
« on: January 11, 2018, 18:08:31 »
As you may know, I’m preparing for a massive water change. In between equipment failures, coral deaths and the like.

So I’ve mixed a big batch of water and I overshot my alk by about .8
I really want to get this new water spot on to what my tank is at. With that being said, I have two questions that I need help with.
1. How can I lower alk without changing the salinity?
2. How long will freshly mixed saltwater (with pumps and heaters) last before I start getting algae or something polluting it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
Re: Fresh Saltwater Parameter Help
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 19:02:00 »
muratic acid will do the trick.  You might be able to do a search to tell how much to use.  I think I was using about 20ml for a 55 gallon drum of reef crystal mix.  Sounds radical but I have even used it directly into my display tank before when I had an accidental overdose of kalk.  I think I used a power head and air pump with air stone to mix it well.  I have both if you need them and I think I still have some acid also.   I have kept water mixed for several weeks without an issue with it.
Jeff

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 19:28:12 »
Jeff, thanks! You say you used 20mL per 55g drum. How much did that lower your alk? And can I just use a plastic dropper to measure and transfer the acid to the plastic 40g drum?

Keith loaned me some Muriatic acid. How convenient. Seems I won’t need much.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 21:26:35 »
sorry I dont remember the numbers.  I just poured the acid into one of the plastic measuring cups that came with my brs 2 part kit.  I think I found the information on reefcentral or r2r.
Jeff