2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Dry rock  (Read 2740 times)

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
Dry rock
« on: April 20, 2008, 23:13:27 »
As I'm trying to aquascape my nano cube with live rock from my other tank I don’t have many small pieces and don’t want to break any of the big pieces. If I were to add some dry rock would it induce a cycle? Would it do anything?

slandis3

Re: Dry rock
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 23:15:23 »
It shouldn't. But if its a new tank it may go through a small cycle anyways.

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 23:39:54 »
The tank itself is new, but everything in it is coming from an established tank.

So in this case will i not have a cycle?

Is there anythign i should do to the rock before i put it in the cube besides rinse it off?

slandis3

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 00:35:52 »
Are you useing new water or water from your old tank? The reason i said there may be a small cycle is, when i set up our nano i use evrything from are old tank ( rock and sand) but i used new water. The new water caused something to stress alittle and the tank went through a small cycle. It only lasted a week or so.  When i use dry rock i rinse it with ro water and stick it right in the tank.

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 00:43:16 »
Everything i put in it was from the other tank includng the water.

So i should be fine with adding some dry rock then?

slandis3

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 01:03:49 »
You should be fine. How much dry are you adding vs how much old are you adding? What size tank?

Offline verper

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 05:54:33 »
You should soak the dry rock a few times to make sure it is clean.  You may get a small cycle like slandis3 said.  You can get a cycle from many things.  Disturbing an established sand bed that isn't regularly stirred, decreasing the amount of bacteria in a tank (which is what you can do with a new tank), adding too much livestock at one time before the bacteria have a chance to balance out.  The best thing is to set up the new tank with stuff from the old tank but then slowly transition the livestock to the new tank.