2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Water Change Question  (Read 2394 times)

Offline UDflyer00

• Adult
Water Change Question
« on: January 30, 2009, 09:31:25 »
Okay, I have a general question to ask...  This may seem like a no brainer for some, but for me this is new territory... :P  My main question is regarding pre-drilled tanks.  My new 65 is my first that is pre-drilled.  With my previous Hex i just used an overflow box to get down to my wet/dry...  So my question is when you perform your water change do you "clean" your overflow out in anyway?  I was just curious.  I haven't looked directly down into mine, but looking at it from the front it does seem to be dirty?  If you do clean yours what method do you use to ensure you don't run all the "yuck" back into your tank?  Just looking to try and keep my tank as clean as I can... :D

And my 2nd question to go along with this, when pumping clean water back into your tank where do you like to pump it??  Clean Minds reply.. ;)  I used to pump it directly into my wet/dry and let the return pump it back, but this last time I pumped it into the overflow...  I'm not sure it really matters, but just curious what people prefer to do.

Thanks,
Mark
65 g AGA - Kettering

Offline larrynews

Re: Water Change Question
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 10:24:32 »
i never really clean my overflow and i put the water back into the sump and let it then pump back to the main tank

Offline Revaltion131

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 13:48:59 »
I've done that as well, Larry.  I probably have the same, or nearly the same, tank as you Mark.  My overflow is nasty.  If you wanted to clean it out, you could probably just siphon out the overflow instead of taking from the main tank or 'fuge.

Offline UDflyer00

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 21:08:05 »
Only the 3 of us do water changes?? :'(  Lots of reads, but only 2 replies? :'(
65 g AGA - Kettering

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 23:06:11 »
Only the 3 of us do water changes?? :'(  Lots of reads, but only 2 replies? :'(

My tank is not pre drilled but I do pump back into sump and let the return pump fill the display tank back up.

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 23:38:33 »
I drilled my own tank and I clean my intake every so often. As for water changes, for some reason I take it from the display and put the new water in the sump and let my pump refill the tank like previously mentioned.

Offline rmstevensiii

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 23:43:13 »
I drain and return from the display.  My sump is beneath the display and there's not much room to work with down there, so it's a convenience thing for me. 
Dayton - 45459