2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Dry Rock  (Read 9673 times)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
Re: Dry Rock
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2011, 08:10:30 »
ugh, i want one so bad

I feel your pain, I've wanted one forever but couldn't justify the $200.00 price tag!  Thanks to Boon, I can now get one!   ;)

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2011, 08:43:37 »
oh i know. 200 is pretty steep. Thank goodness i have a wholesaler account and as soon as one becomes available, i may snag one.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2011, 08:59:38 »
oh i know. 200 is pretty steep. Thank goodness i have a wholesaler account and as soon as one becomes available, i may snag one.

Holding out on us???

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2011, 09:50:53 »
LOL, I don't think he knew that you were the only buyer.  I'm sure he thought  there was a line waiting at my door!  ;D
Na, I wasn't being serious. We just :-Poke fun at each other, I'm pretty sure he wasn't either. Lol ;)

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2011, 09:54:24 »
Holding out on us???

lol, getting the website built and working on sponsorship. Right now doesnt seem to be a good time with the switching of positions right now.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2011, 10:17:34 »
lol, getting the website built and working on sponsorship. Right now doesnt seem to be a good time with the switching of positions right now.
:-ThumbUpsm Go man go!

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2011, 11:29:02 »
playground sand at Lowes is about 3 bucks a bag. dirt cheap and silica free. AS LONG AS YOU GET THEIR PLAYGROUND SAND. I rinsed it though to get all the  dust out of there.

I would be careful with this.  I tried it in the past.  It was way too fine, so you need to mix with some coarser stuff.   I'm also not convinced that there is no silica in this.       

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2011, 11:42:57 »
i never had any issues wit the several bags i bought. but i did rinse mine before using

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2011, 11:49:11 »
Now who has sand...????? I need the finest sand I can find... I have plenty of Coarse.
Are you going to do about a 60/40 mix of fine/course

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2011, 00:40:18 »
I'm gonna give it a shot, I did notice a few bags that mentioned it was silica free, and I have plenty of live coarse so I think it should seed up nicely.

I plan on soaking it thoroughly with RO before putting in the tank.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2011, 08:16:32 »
Not sure if this would apply to anyone right now. If you are switching to a new tank and starting out with all new "dead" sand while still using the same water and rick that was in your existing tank there is a way to seed the sand easily.  Take  two stockings put some live sand crushed coral whatever, put about 1 cup in each one tie a knot in each one.  Place one at one end of the tank and the other at the other end of the tank.  Leave them there for two weeks then throw them away.  Poof, seeded sand!  I did this when I upgraded from my 55 to 125, made the switch all in one day and put all the coral and fish in the same day no problems at all!

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2011, 08:37:13 »
Thanks for the tip!  :-ThumbUpsm

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2011, 10:28:34 »
I figure my live coarse sand will seed the play sand... my only question would be can i take that dry rock and throw it inthe tank with the live and add the fish and corals? or would I have to wait for the dry rock to cycle?

The only worry I have is I read dry rock can harbor dead organisms that still release ammonia and nitrites back into the tank

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2011, 11:22:04 »
I figure my live coarse sand will seed the play sand... my only question would be can i take that dry rock and throw it inthe tank with the live and add the fish and corals? or would I have to wait for the dry rock to cycle?

The only worry I have is I read dry rock can harbor dead organisms that still release ammonia and nitrites back into the tank

As long as the rock is completely clean, you could add at the same time.   Typically rock has some dead stuff on it, in which case when you add it to your tank, it can cause a mini cycle. 

For that matter if you add too many fish at the same time, you can cause a cycle too.   Anytime your decaying material is more than your nitrifying bacteria, you tank will do a mini cycle while the bacteria builds up to deal with the decay.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2011, 13:33:20 »

If you're mixing the course and sand you're fine.  I had crushed coral in mine before and wanted to get rid of that look to have smooth sand.  As for the rock...One thing you could do is soak it in bleach water and dechlorinate like 4 times after that.  I've done that before.  As for if it will cycle, I think it might depend on how much live rock you have to start with and how much you are going to add.  If you are going to use your current tank water as part of the new set up water.  I have rinsed the dry rock with RO water and added it to my tank or sump with no problems, but, I didn't add a ton at one time and I have a bigger water amount which can make a difference.  jmho

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2011, 15:15:21 »
I have 65# of live rock, and 51 dry rock... I can use my existing water as I just did a change and it is clean for the most part.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2011, 20:57:12 »
I would think it would be fine.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2011, 07:19:56 »
I would think it would be fine.