2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: editing account with fragswapper?  (Read 1980 times)

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
editing account with fragswapper?
« on: December 01, 2013, 13:27:56 »
I was looking at my fragswapper account today and i have years worth of listings for things that I have sold or corals I no longer have that are still listed under my home page.  Is there a way to remove the listings from my home page account?  The site says to click on the listing and you can edit or remove it but I dont see anywhere to remove it. I tried to delete all the text and then click save but that didnt work.
thanks
Jeff

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: editing account with fragswapper?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 13:42:48 »
Unfortunately I haven't found a way to remove them either.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 22:37:27 »
I spoke with the author of the site about a year ago now, and his answer is that there is no true way to delete items, and having such a large database has never affected performance, so it's never been implemented.  Fragswapper has been up since 2006 and has never required a fee to use.....and the ads on the site only pay for the hosting for the site.  He also said that he has started rewriting it, but because it doesn't actually generate any revenue for him, it's tough to justify the 100's of hours it'll take to rewrite it.  It's been started, but has no projected completion date yet.  He estimated that if the time taken were billable, it would be in the neighborhood of 10's of thousands of dollars to complete.

I thanked him for what he has done with the site as he does continue to provide support for it, and that was the end of the conversation.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 14:49:13 »
Here is the fix.  I wrote the administrator and got this following response.

Fizz

To

Jeffrey Joos

I honestly do not remember WHY I removed the "remove" feature.  If you are certain you don't have the item listed anywhere anymore here is how you delete it manually:

1. Go to your MY HOME page.
2. Scroll down to your ITEMS ON FILE.
3. Click on the item you want to delete.
..It will open edit.
4. In the URL at the top you'll see something like this:
http://fragswapper.com/MyListings.asp?ListingType=6&ItemKey=XXXX

Change the 6 to a 7:
http://fragswapper.com/MyListings.asp?ListingType=7&ItemKey=XXXX
...and press ENTER.

Then repeat 3 and 4 for every item.  The XXXX in the ItemKey will be different for each item and it is site wide unique number (so it's not in order for you) so you can't just change the item key, you'll need to open each item to get the item number.

It is secure so you can only remove your own items. :)  And it SHOULD automatically remove the listing if it is listed some place but no promises...that might be why I removed it! 

Just so you know, it doesn't actually delete the entry, it just hides it.  So if you look in the archive of events if you had it listed it will still be there.

Good luck.

I just tried it on 2 listings and it worked.
Jeff

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 21:27:58 »
I set this to sticky.....although I'm not sure where we should put this.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 22:39:14 »
That is a good idea.  I dont think we would remember that six months from now.  It took me some time but I was able to clear out my listings.  some had been there since 2008.  Glad to see them gone.
Jeff

Offline discus513

• Adult
    • Cincinnati Club (C.A.R.E.)
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 00:41:39 »
yes this is awesome, I was just talking with someone the other day who asked me about some eagle eye zoa's I had on there from 2 years ago, he seen them and asked if I still had those. I am glad I can finally get rid of the stuff that I no longer have. Thanks JJoos99!

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 07:36:18 »
Thanks man that helps a lot

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 12:31:00 »
Definetly thanks. I was able to get rid of stuff I hadn't had for years.