2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Let's talk new batch salt mixing  (Read 1839 times)

Offline Agame43

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Let's talk new batch salt mixing
« on: March 23, 2017, 11:48:19 »

I had seen the post by Steve asking about "mixing" different salts together - The Do's and Do not's" but I have a different observation that I would like to get some feed back on in regards to new salt batch mixing.

I mixed up 50gal of new saltwater with Frtiz this week and I have used now 3 boxes of this salt as well. During my mixing i noticed that my mix got really cloudy, my heater and pump both had a chalk like film on them and in using the water it was visibly much more cloudy than normal. This is a brand new box, just opened and I had this happen the first time I used Fritz salt as well, very cloudy but then the next batch was ok. i did seem to notice that my mix bucket with the Fritz seemed in general to have a more chalky appearance after each batch versus other salts?

Has anybody had a similar experience with new batches of salt in general? Any idea as to why this happens? The very first time it happened i actually tossed out the 36gal that I had made up, not trusting it I guess. I did do some measures this time and they all seemed ok. I did use the 50gal this time and my tank is ok but man really weird. 

Offline thepipbull

• Adult
Re: Let's talk new batch salt mixing
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 14:55:53 »
Had the same issue Rick and was worried as well and actually threw my heater away cause it looked so bad.....lol
But it is just calcium precipitation. And can be caused by a couple of things from what I read. First by adding to much salt into the water at one time or to fast. Heating cold water while adding the salt. The conclusion from everything I reviewed was RO water should be heated to the appropriate temp before adding salt. Add salt slowly and use the mixed water within a couple hours of mixing.
Hope this helps

Offline Agame43

• Adult
Re: Let's talk new batch salt mixing
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 16:48:08 »

Pip,  Very good information, great to hear, this had me stumped. My RO was cold or I had my heater in the water heating but temp was not ideal. Plus potential for adding to much salt at one time as well.

Thanks