2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: home made food  (Read 2587 times)

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
home made food
« on: February 07, 2017, 20:20:55 »
Decided to take my shot at making home made fish food.

I bought a bag that had a mixture of frozen fish in it.  $4 at jungle jims.  The bag contained pieces of squid, mussels, octopus, and shrimp.  Got it home, thawed it, pureed it, and in to the bags it went. 
Not sure if I over pureed or not.  I fed some to the fish and they sure loved it, just not sure if there was enough substance for them to eat.  I'm sure there is enough "junk" in each frozen piece I'd feed, or at least I hope. 

Not bad for $4, I got enough food to last me well over a year.  But I also don't have "Big" fish, mine are all small mouthed reef fish :)

by Shawn D, on Flickr

by Shawn D, on Flickr

Offline thepipbull

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: home made food
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 21:11:43 »
Looks good Shawn
I've been doing a lot of research on DIY food for fish and coral with amino acids and few other things added going to work on it over the next 6 weeks then we'll have a Club Sponsored meeting on how to make food.
I was going to start looking for that type frozen food and totally forgot about Jungle Jims.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 21:12:36 »
You likely made some good coral and microfauna food. For fish food you have to cut it instead of pureeding it

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 21:18:31 »
well, at $4, i'll take it.
I could buy another bag and "cut" that up in to itsy bitsy pieces.
Then that will last me another 3 years :)

i'll try again

I was going to look for an Asian store, but I'm like...wait, I have JJ's right here.  SO sure enough, they had what I needed.  I really had no desire to sacrifice any living fish there, so frozen it was.  I was really expecting it to be more expensive.  But nope, $4.  If you go, go to the Asian frozen food area, not the meat/seafood area.  There is a bigger selection in the asian area.  At least the one in east gate was that way
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 21:24:22 by crankbait09 »

Offline guynamedfleck

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 21:24:18 »
Seriously... is there anything Jungle Jim's isn't amazing for? haha!

Though, remind us not to ask for margaritas if you host a club meeting!  ;D