2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: How do deal with algae blooms  (Read 9019 times)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
Re: How do deal with algae blooms
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2006, 10:03:03 »
I added a sea hare yesterday for macroalgae control. Hopefully the mantis shrimp will leave it alone and allow it to consume algae just like it leaves my sea cucumbers alone.
  Hopefully so. Keep us posted! 

Offline Hunter21

• Adult
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2006, 13:11:56 »
well at least if the mantis does try to eat the sea hare...maybe it'll let off some kinda substance in defense! but that may not be a good thing for your tank!!  :P
Erin

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2006, 00:46:49 »
The sea hare only lasted 24 hours. Mantis shrimp may leave sea cucumbers alone, but not sea hares.

Offline verper

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2006, 05:30:18 »
ouch

Offline scott wilson

• Adult
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2006, 10:03:37 »
That sucks.

You need to trap him in a hole in a rock and just foll the hole with silicone.  Trap him in there. Of course you do have the isues of the VOC's durring the curring of the silicone.  Do they make mantis traps?

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2006, 10:19:28 »
Yes, they sell mantis traps, but you can also make one yourself for under a dollar. They even work well at removing small fish, like a six-line wrasse wihout disturbing the reef.

http://www.tbsaltwater.com/thepackage/images/trap.gif

I removed 4 or 5 mantis from my system with only one remaining. But this last guy has made a home at the bottom of the reef and is very smart. Unfortunately, I can't blame him for everything, because there are still small gorilla crabs in my system that will wipe out hermit crab populations very quickly. The mantis will kill those nasty gorilla crabs when they get larger. My reef will out live the mantis and gorilla crabs (bad hitchhikers).