2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: setting up a fowlr (maybe) need insight  (Read 3591 times)

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
setting up a fowlr (maybe) need insight
« on: November 12, 2010, 16:42:11 »
Alright I know this is a reef forum but I am sure others have looked into a fowlr, and I appreciate your opinions.
(I wasn't sure were to post so if it needs moved feel free thanks)

I have had a reef for 5 + years and recently just sold everything.
However, I am now curious about setting up a fowlr.
I've been reading the threads here and just wanted to double check that I've got the right ideas:

Main items needed
Tank (125+)/Stand
Sump
extra sized protein skimmer
of course substrate/live rock
lighting (I was thinking starting with basic fluorescent and then going from there).

Livestock: based on a 125
2 maroon clowns
1 red corisse wrasse
medium angel
smaller trigger
snowflake eel
flame hawkfish

suggestions/ criticisms are always welcome!!!
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
Re: setting up a fowlr (maybe) need insight
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 16:49:19 »
looks right :-ThumbUpsm  Be careful on which corris wrasse you choose, the red juvis can be very delicate and difficult to feed.

Kevin(kattz) has the perfect tank for dirt cheap. 180 drilled for only 175
and Ive got the skimmer for ya!

Offline Viggen

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 17:21:23 »
I was also looking into a fowlr tank but decided to just do a fo tank. Joel at aquariums etc helped me out and stated the LR route wasnt needed.  I have always done fo tanks and was interested in a fowlr.

I just have a big wet dry and a Skimmer (working on which model Skimmer still).

300g tub o fish

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 17:25:07 »
I have a pretty good handle on the equipment (I think).
I was more curious about opinions on the livestock.
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 08:12:07 »
The snowflake moray will eat torpedo shaped fish so the corris wrasse and long nose hawk are at risk. Coris wrasse like to bury them selves so have a deep enough and soft enough substrate for it to do so with out injury. I don't suggest sugar size sand though, your going to need to vacuum your substrate regularly and it is a major PITA to vacuum. Carib Sea - Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand, upc #008479000507 is my personal choice, it is heavy enough to vacuum with out sucking it out of the tank but small & soft enough that soft bodied fish are safe. Out of curiosity, which red coris wrasse are you wanting (gaimard or formossa) They both have little quirks about them when brought in but are very doable. The gaimard comes from several locations, a few you want to avoid. If you want assistance on that let me know.

A zebra moray is a much safer bet. Very rarely do they eat small fish. It's a bigger, stockier eel and better looking in my opinion. They can refuse to eat for several weeks sometimes when first brought in but often will start eating raw shrimp with in 2 to 4 weeks or so. I have over 3' zebra morays in tanks with small Ocilaris clowns, small pseudochromis / gramma and other smaller fish with O problems. Not just 1 tank that way, I have several in service accounts with this combination of Zebra eels in with small fish and they are fine. They seem to prefer shrimp & squid over live fish. I guess I need a disclaimer here though. I am sure that there have been zebra morays who have eaten small fish so this is not a guarantee. I just have several examples where it has not been a problem.

A smaller trigger is going to grow up into a big trigger. Choosing a specie that is not overly aggressive such as a Odontis Niger, Melichthys indicus or niger, Blue throat, pink tail, cross hatch, golden heart or sargassum triggerfish may be a consideration. These are some species that are typically peaceful by comparison to other triggers.

As per the lighting, your likely not going to have organisms that are overly light demanding. A simple PC or T-5 lighting system should be more than enough. For example, a pair of 36" 96 watt power compacts with a combo 10K / Actinic lamp in each one across the length of the tank Should give nice color rendering, should support coraline algae on your rock and isn't too strong where you have constant algae issues. A pair of dual tube 36" HO T-5"s could work equally as well also.

An appropriately sized wet dry and protein skimmer typically works well in this type of set up. Fish tanks can be messy so heavy mechanical filtration and skimming really helps keep things right. Hope this helps.

Joel

Offline Viggen

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 10:14:35 »
Any idea which angel you wanted?  Like triggers many grow way to big for a 125g

Bluejaw or sargassum are 2 triggers that would be ok in a 125g

I would get a bigger tank, 150g min
300g tub o fish