2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Ich + Polylab Medic = happy??  (Read 2510 times)

Offline Tavangel

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Fry
Ich + Polylab Medic = happy??
« on: September 03, 2018, 22:13:52 »
Hi All, mostly noob lurker first time poster with a ~6 month old ~14 gal tank. I only have 1 fish, and just recently got him. It's a Royal Gamma Basslet and after about a week I'm fairly certain it's developed ich :(. I've lost a firefish to ich before from the stress of catching him and then transferring him to QT tank (after that incident, I removed all fish from my tank for 2 months to try and break the cycle).

I think catching this Gamma is going to be near impossible as well, so I'm looking at 'Medic' by Polylabs I saw from Warhawk's thread in the Fish part of the forms. Does anyone have experience with how reef-safe it is? I have 2 hammer corals, 1 frogspawn, 1 mushroom, and green star polyps. Also some snails & inverts.

Also, after taking this pic it looks a little underfed with his stomach being concave like that? I've been feeding him twice a day with frozen shrimp + boyd vita-chem

Thank you in advance for any input people can provide. I appreciate the insight of more seasoned aquarists.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
Re: Ich + Polylab Medic = happy??
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 23:14:19 »
Welcome to our group.  I dont know of any reef safe treatment for ich.  Your best bet would be to remove the fish from your tank even if you have to remove the rocks to catch him.  Then treat him outside the main tank with copper.  Leave the main tank without any fish for 2 months or so and that will kill off any ich that might be in your sand bed.  without a fish in the tank the ich will die for lack of food.  From there you can start to add new fish that have been through qt and hopefully the gramma will have made it.  By the way I think he looks pretty good but I do see some white spots on him.
good luck and keep us posted
Jeff

Offline Tavangel

• Fry
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 18:44:58 »
Welcome to our group.  I dont know of any reef safe treatment for ich.  Your best bet would be to remove the fish from your tank even if you have to remove the rocks to catch him.  Then treat him outside the main tank with copper.  Leave the main tank without any fish for 2 months or so and that will kill off any ich that might be in your sand bed.  without a fish in the tank the ich will die for lack of food.  From there you can start to add new fish that have been through qt and hopefully the gramma will have made it.  By the way I think he looks pretty good but I do see some white spots on him.
good luck and keep us posted
Jeff

Thanks for the welcome and the reply! I thought as much for any reef safe cure. I've read before there isnt any such silver bullet and really the only 100% way to remove ich from a tank is to take the fish out and let the 2 month waiting period happen. Always gotta ask whenever i do come across said bullets though.

I'll try feeding with the net in the tank to get him used to it and then in the met itself. That worked in the past for some other wily fish when i needed to put them in QT.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 22:07:45 »
If you are a club member on of the benefits are use of the clubs tools.  They have several really nice fish traps that work very well.  I have used it several times with good success each time.  Once a member in the members section of the forum there is a tread of the tools available and you just post under what you want to reserve and use and Lazy will usually get back with you for pickup.
Jeff

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 00:25:41 »
I bet you can have him out of there within 30 minutes if you have two buckets, a siphon hose and a net.

Offline JMM

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 22:58:33 »

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 23:38:36 »
Sorry bud. Medic did not work for me.  There is no silver bullet yet.  However that episode was my fist run in with ick that did not end in total loss.  I lost 3 anthias but managed to keep 10 other fish.  After a month with medic, with no change in condition, I gave up and decided to let nature run it’s course. I’ve heard the stories from 2 main camps 1 that ick will show up in any tank and the fish can fight it off if they are healthy enough. Camp two says copper dip and ferlow or everything dies. I tried to keep the fish as stress free as possible.  I switched my food to spectrum pellets and Lazys reef gumbo. Over fed and more often I kept my hands out of the tank and did not do many water changes after 2 months I can’t make any white spots on any of the fish.  I am a firm believer now that stress has a lot to do with the Parisite being fatal or not.  I hope this information helps give you piece of mind.

Offline soldiers4christ50

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 08:55:45 »
I can speak for polyp lab medic being reef safe and it works great. The key to using it is to use it til you see the ick gone and then I used it every other month to keep it out. If agame reads this I’m sure he can attest to this as well. We both used it in our reef tanks and had no issues. Now depending on how bad the fish is it may not work for that fish. It’s a little pricy but well worth it in my opinion. I know people have success doing the quarantine methods but me personally I lost more fish trying to qt then I did once I switched to using poly lab medic. Just my 2 cents worth.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 09:02:13 by soldiers4christ50 »