2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: flliter sock or not  (Read 2561 times)

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
flliter sock or not
« on: January 29, 2018, 21:42:19 »
do you use filter socks or not?  I am building a new sump and trying to decide if to use socks or not.  My tank overflow will empty into the first chamber which will house my skimmer.  I am leaning to letting the overflow empty right into this chamber without a sock and save the hassle of constant cleaning of the socks.  It seems as if it would be pretty easy to clean out any buildup in that chamber.  What do you all think?
Jeff

Offline JMM

• Juvenile
Re: flliter sock or not
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 22:13:27 »
Been running my 70 for a year now with no socks. I get junk in the bottom for sure but not too bad. I keep a bare bottom tank so it’s easy to vacuum the bottom of sludge when it gets built up. I have only cleaned the sump one time. If you go that route and don't like it you can always add the filter socks.  Down side is my water isn’t the cleanest to look at in the tank. Not crystal clear. I can live with that.

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 22:19:13 »
That's a good question. I would say when I run them, they pull out more gunk than my skimmer. Without them, my sump gets a moderate dusting of detritus even with 10x system flow through. However, when I stir up the sump (and detritus), my corals and vermatid snails go on a feast. Curious see what other people say.

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 23:04:42 »
Don’t use them. Too lazy to pull them out every three days.  Do my water changes out of the sump and it never seems that dirty so it seems like the crud is going somewhere?

Offline kellyj

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 07:33:40 »
I would say go ahead plan for a sock.  I only use a sock when the display gets stirred up (from blowing stuff off rocks or sifting the sand).  Easier to plan now than fit it in later.
Kelly

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 08:11:24 »
i ran socks 100 micron for a while and they are a pain in the butt, cleaning them is the worst! I do not run any socks now, unless i am doing a major cleaning. Then i will use a old socks just to knock the heavy particulate down in the tank. My corals seem happier with me not using socks any more.

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 08:13:59 »
on my new setup I am planning on using socks only when blowing off rocks / cleaning the sand bed, or just to give a little polish.
It costs HOW much?!

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 08:46:09 »
on my new setup I am planning on using socks only when blowing off rocks / cleaning the sand bed, or just to give a little polish.
That's is what I am also thinking. When I do water changes I blow everything off with a turkey baster and I was thinking of installing the socks then. It can stir up quite a bit and the socks might help collect some of it.
Jeff

Offline jmblec2

• Fry
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 20:50:11 »
I just removed mine to try and increase nitrates.