2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: How much skimmate do you get in a week?  (Read 2135 times)

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
How much skimmate do you get in a week?
« on: February 01, 2018, 17:35:15 »
I have about 140 gallon total system volume and my skimmer is an Eshopps PSK-200, rated for 150-200 gallons. My only filtration this week other than live rock in the display has been my skimmer. No bags, no cheato, no GFO. I run the skimmer a little dry to decrease the risk of random overflows because this was happening in the past. I feed twice a day frozen food and nori sheets are always in the tank for the tangs. How does this amount of skimmate compare to what other people get? It seems kinda low to me.

120 gallon mixed reef.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: How much skimmate do you get in a week?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 19:12:45 »
I feed 2-3 bags of frozen ocean gumbo per week + 10 sheets of nori.. I get about 3x-4x the amount of skim you have there. How much frozen and nori are you putting in the tank each week.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 19:15:51 »
You may want to get something that isn’t metal to secure that tubing. Looks like it has been dripping a bit of rust into the sump. Probrably not enough to harm anything but not a bad idea to use something else

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 19:23:09 »
That is my iron dosing  ;). You're right though, I should probably switch to plastic clips. I feed probably 5 sheets of nori a week and my feedings are about the size of those pre packaged cubes except I'm using Ocean gumbo and Rods. So I would estimate 12-14 cubes per week.

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 20:06:37 »
I’ll try skimming a little wetter

120 gallon mixed reef.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 23:37:54 »
I’ll try skimming a little wetter
Looking at your picture you can see where the skimmer is slimmed up below the throat.  I run mine wet up into the cup tube.  Do you have any controller?  You can install a float switch into the lid of your skimmer and run it into a controller and shut down your skimmer pump in case your cup fills too high.  works great and has saved me several time from dumping back into the tank.
Jeff

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 23:45:12 »
I don’t have a controller. When I was running it wetter, I would get overflows or near overflows a couple times a week and it was messing with my salinity a little. Last week I took it out and cleaned the motor and it’s been a constant level so far. Thanks for the tip, I’ll think about adding a float if I invest in a controller down the road.

120 gallon mixed reef.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 00:06:13 »
This is what you need if you dont have a controller
http://autotopoff.com/Standard/su.jpg
drill a hole in your skimmer lid, install a plug in the switch wiring, plug in your skimmer pump and your good to go. No more overflows.
jeff

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 07:46:42 »
Wow that’s great. I’ll try it. Thank you.

120 gallon mixed reef.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 08:50:45 »
You will need to install some kind of plug in the switch wire so you can clean your skimmer lid. Just unplug the electricity before doing so, it will be hot and bites.
Jeff