2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Anyone running a Calcium Reactor?  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Miles

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Anyone running a Calcium Reactor?
« on: February 05, 2018, 08:33:33 »
I'm thinking about possibly getting a calcium reactor and was curious if anyone had any thoughts about them...

I've had lots of trouble getting automated two part dosing to work out well over a long period of time. This is mostly because I don't have time to be testing both Ca and Alk all the time (having a kid a year ago has really cut down on the time I've been able to spend on maintenance). I received some advice from someone at work (visiting from the DC area) that has been reefkeeping for decades and insists that a Ca reactor would fix my problems, he believes that it is the best reefkeeping advance he has ever purchased.

I think it probably would work out well for me since you don't really have to worry about the balance between Ca and Alk, and you really only need to consistently check Alk (which is a much easier test than Ca with the Hanna Checkers). it sounds like there is probably some initial tinkering that needs to be done, but once it's up and running should be mostly automated if I hook up the ph Probe to my Apex.

Thoughts?

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
Re: Anyone running a Calcium Reactor?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 09:24:24 »
I have one that I have been using for years and wouldnt be without it.  I have a solenoid on my co2 tank and a ph probe in my reactor which controls the co2 to get the preset ph levels inside the reactor that I program into the apex.  Takes alittle tinkering until you get the alk levels set but after that, it is almost set and forget.  I might check my alk once every couple of weeks and maybe the ca a mag every couple of months.  You can add some magnesium media in the reactor and you are set.  Your welcome to come out and take a look at mine and Ill give you a lesson on how to adjust it.
Jeff

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 09:53:56 »
Here is a pic of my reactor. Picked it up used years ago on reef central.   
Jeff

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 11:08:25 »
I have one that I have been using for years and wouldnt be without it.  I have a solenoid on my co2 tank and a ph probe in my reactor which controls the co2 to get the preset ph levels inside the reactor that I program into the apex.  Takes alittle tinkering until you get the alk levels set but after that, it is almost set and forget.  I might check my alk once every couple of weeks and maybe the ca a mag every couple of months.  You can add some magnesium media in the reactor and you are set.  Your welcome to come out and take a look at mine and Ill give you a lesson on how to adjust it.
Jeff

Great info...

Anyone have any suggestions on a brand/model?

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 14:36:50 »
how often do you calibrate that ph probe, and how do you increase the ph out of the reactor to not crash your tank's ph?

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 14:53:23 »
how often do you calibrate that ph probe, and how do you increase the ph out of the reactor to not crash your tank's ph?

Personally, I'd run it off my Apex... if the ph of the tank rises too much, just turn off the reactor....

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 17:09:17 »
Personally, I'd run it off my Apex... if the ph of the tank rises too much, just turn off the reactor....
  I saw a video on a different method of adjusting a reactor and am running mine the same way.  I adjust the water outlet so that is just a tiny bit more then a drip, more like a very slow steady flow.  I then adjust my ph level in the reactor from there.  I started out at say 6.6 for a week and see how my alk trend goes.  If it lowers I will adjust the ph lower.  I kept doing that till my alk level in the tank was stable in the 9.0 range.  I have my apex turn co2 on at 6.55 and off at 6.45.  You can set up your apex to shut down the co2 if your tank level should drop too low.  That will require 2 ph probes.  I have never had any ph issues from running my reactor.  I have had low ph issues over the years until I determined I had high co2 levels in my basement air and ran a vent blower to the outside to vent the basement air.
Jeff

Offline andys1982

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 11:43:46 »
I've ran both CA reactors and two part and I don't see the advantages your friend claims.  While the ca reactor can be more "set it and forget it", it's really on pertaining to adding more media, not testing.  Testing is still required.  Yes the reactor will add ca and alk proportionality, but so does two part if you add equal amounts of both reagents.  I'd definitely recommend running a probe and controller (which will need regular maintenance and calibration), but keep in mind that the effluent feed (the drip or dose going from the reactor to the tank) is important as well.  You want a consistent daily "dose" of effluent to the tank otherwise your levels with go out of whack.  The only way to guarantee the dose is consistent is with a variable rate peristaltic pump (usually expensive).  If you use a regular submersible pump to feed the reactor, there will be variations in the flow, both regular due to the way the pump works, and changes overtime due to the pump clogging/gumming up.

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 13:56:59 »
Yes, testing is still required, but you don't need to be testing both all the time. Two part doesn't  work in equal amounts in my situation because I dose Sodium Bicarbonate (Arm & Hammer Baking Soda) and the BRS Calcium Chloride. Since the baking soda isn't made by BRS it wont dose in equal amounts (I admit, this is my fault, but it is much cheaper this way).  Switching to the BRS stuff might fix my problem, but I'm a gear junkie and in the long run just tossing new media in and occasionally testing once i get everything dialed in is going to be easier.

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 14:23:04 »
Yes, testing is still required, but you don't need to be testing both all the time. Two part doesn't  work in equal amounts in my situation because I dose Sodium Bicarbonate (Arm & Hammer Baking Soda) and the BRS Calcium Chloride. Since the baking soda isn't made by BRS it wont dose in equal amounts (I admit, this is my fault, but it is much cheaper this way).  Switching to the BRS stuff might fix my problem, but I'm a gear junkie and in the long run just tossing new media in and occasionally testing once i get everything dialed in is going to be easier.

place 594 grams of arm and hammer in your oven for an hour at 350 and then mix in enough water to make 1 gallon, this will then be the correct ratio that BRS uses. Randy Holmes recipe #1 he developed for BRS. This will also raise your ph rather than drive it down a bit with baking soda.

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 15:33:17 »
place 594 grams of arm and hammer in your oven for an hour at 350 and then mix in enough water to make 1 gallon, this will then be the correct ratio that BRS uses. Randy Holmes recipe #1 he developed for BRS. This will also raise your ph rather than drive it down a bit with baking soda.

Thanks! good to know

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 21:34:06 »
Take 15 minutes and watch this video on adjusting a ca reactor.  It is a totally different method then what everyone is using.  I have been using this method for a couple of years with great success.  I add ca media maybe once a year, fill my co2 bottle maybe every 2 years and test my alk every couple of weeks after the initial setup. With the method in the video you dont have to count your drip rate or count bubbles.  I dont see what could possibly be easier then that.  If my corals start to use more alk all I need to do is increase the co2 amount.
Jeff